We Will Always Have Truvy

This may ramble a bit, but please, stick with me. I promise...there's a story here.

In 1987, Robert Harling wrote a short story about the death of his sister. With very little wasted time, that short story became a theatrical script.  Two different Off Broadway theatres housed the stage productions of the play, but before it could make the jump to Broadway proper, Hollywood came calling.  Robert Harling added "screen writer" to his list of accomplishments and gave the world Steel Magnolias. By reading those two words, you probably have some idea about where this essay is going. Well, those two words and the five of the title. Yes, this is my tribute to Dolly Rebecca Parton.

The vast majority of memorials will come from people she knew, and she knew A LOT of people. Think about it:  she spent SIXTY years working full time in the entertainment industry and probably met just about every picker, grinner, and vinyl record spinner to have ever drawn breath.  She knew more people than most of us will forget! If remembrances of her came ONLY from her family, there would be gracious plenty to read.  Dolly, however, didn't know me from a can of house paint.  I never had the opportunity to stand in her rhinestone bejeweled presence...never shook her hand, with the trademark red lacquered talons...never face to face witnessed the acts of absolute gravitational defiance performed by her hair. But thanks to Robert Harling, I met Dolly Parton.

Picture it...Knoxville, Tennessee...early morning on New Year's Day 1991. I was visiting, from Michigan, with Mr. Snark and his folks over Christmas break.  From the comfort of the sectional sofa that Mr. Snark and I would inherit once we were married, MILove and I watched the screen version of Steel Magnolias on bootlegged HBO. (Don't ask me how FILove did that, just trust that he did and was proud of himself, too.)  Neither one of us had seen it and I don't think either of us really knew what we were in for.  From the opening credits, I was in love. Hook, line, and sinker...just gone!  It tore me apart and put me back together. I was only 20 years old and "Shelby" (Julia Roberts) was the more age relatable character.  However, it was "Truvy"...Dolly's role...that marked my brain and quietly planted a little seed in my soul.

In December of 2023, my local community theatre organization held auditions for Steel Magnolias.  I auditioned for "Truvy," and after finding out the role was mine, I sat in my car and wondered what I had done to myself! I was certain this was actual insanity.  That night, I set up camp in my bed, script  in hand, (a pencil and highlighter, too, because I am a complete nerd) and found a full length video of the play online and just lost myself in the beauty of a story that already had my affection. Becoming "Truvy" became my full time job. That little seed planted by the movie version blossomed, just like kudzu.  I heard Dolly in my head as I worked my way through the script. How she responded to her castmates...the way she communicated through this role seemed very natural and authentic...like she really wasn't acting.  It was on the pages of that script that I met Dolly.  


In the words that Robert Harling wrote for this character, I came face to face with Dolly's kindness and her gentleness, her joy, her love for her people, her feistiness, her loyalty, sincerity, and her heart. Did he write the film version of "Truvy" specifically for Dolly?  I don't know, but I am certain she was made for it. We ran four shows in February of 2024 and I had more fun than should be legal. It was like lightning in a bottle...one of those experiences that come around once in a lifetime. Every so often, though, lightning has been known to strike the same place twice.  The six of us from the 2024 show returned for an encore production that occurred just a couple of weeks ago. Revisiting this project with my castmates was incredible. Being familiar with the script gave us the luxury of honing in on subtle details...digging deeper into the jokes...exploring our reactions.  I still heard Dolly's voice as I sat with my lines and it turned out to be amazing...absolutely amazing. 

Ten days after our last show, Dolly Rebecca Parton died. The news hit me like a freight train. Mr. Snark and I were in Florida on vacation. We were just settling into a late lunch at a beachside Cuban restaurant and I checked my phone. I saw the video from her family...and just read the caption. I put my phone down and told Mr. Snark what I had seen. I picked it back up and the news was everywhere. The social media reactions were rolling in...text messages from friends started popping up and all I could do was quietly weep in the presence of my delicious mojito. We even ordered dessert ...we never order dessert...but sharing a piece of three layer chocolate cake seemed like good medicine for our pain. By the grace of God...the mojito...and that chocolate cake, I made it through lunch. But the tears flowed unhindered once in the car.  Back at our vacation rental. I set myself up for the BIG ugly cry by streaming Steel Magnolias on the TV. The number of times I have watched this movie eludes me, but this time, there was something different.  It was almost like watching it for the first time, as crazy as that might sound. I watched Dolly's "Truvy" on the TV and pictured myself on the stage. The adaptations and restructuring that happened to make the movie come to life just danced off the screen. 

Later that night, one of the funnier of "Truvy's" jokes hit me. She is informing her newly hired assistant, "Annelle," of the philosophy that has made her hair shop the most successful one in town.  You know the one I'm talking about...say it with me..."There is no such thing as natural beauty!" The obvious irony of Dolly saying such is hysterical...playing that joke out on stage was a hoot.   So humorous, but completely untrue.  Natural beauty comes from the inside and one of the most naturally beautiful women God ever made was Dolly Parton. She walked through her public life with more natural beauty in her little finger than most of us will ever understand..and in higher heels than most of us will ever wear. I'm not saying she was perfect...she denied that she was...none of us are.  What I am saying is that she was intentional with her kindness, her compassion, her joy, with her love and it was ever present. "Truvy" wasn't just a character for Dolly. She WAS Dolly or Dolly WAS her. One of the sweetest things my sister has ever said to me came just ahead of the first performances in 2024. "People think Michelle's acting, but they are wrong. Michelle's on stage just being herself." I don't know that anyone could hope for any better review.

Robert Harling will probably never see this essay. Maybe he will...the internet's power is wild and mysterious. Whether he does or doesn't...Mr. Harling? Thank you. Thank you for putting pen to paper or finger to keys and processing your sister's death in such a way that gave us a most beautiful gift. Thank you for creating a story that at it's heart, is timeless.  Thank you for reminding us that friendship is important, that community is necessary, and that laughter through tears can heal even the deepest wounds. Thank you for all the Magnolias...but for me...thank you, especially, for Truvy. No longer just a character in a play, she's as real as I am. Thank you for introducing me to Dolly Rebecca Parton in a way that means more than you will ever know.

Because of you, we will always have Truvy.

Comments