Dear Fellow Shopper....

I don't think you even saw me and my MILove, on Saturday.  I'm fairly certain you can't see much past the end of your nose.  I hold this truth to be self evident because of the way you hijacked the conversation we were having with the sales associate....like we weren't even standing there.  Like we hadn't been patiently waiting for you to relinquish your verbal grip on the young man's attention.  You literally inserted yourself between my MILove and the sales associate to continue your conversation with him.  As if you hadn't already occupied enough of his time or polluted enough of the airspace with your selfish, demanding nattering.  Here's something you need to know....you are a blessed woman....because I am a blessed woman. 

Not so very long ago, I might have told you just so...right there in front of God, my MILove and everyone else...and disappointed Jesus in the doing.  Over the past year, there has been an unfamiliar sense of contentiousness within me.  Unfamiliar and uncomfortable.  I wouldn't have been vulgar or obscene...I do like to think of myself as a lady...but your face would have melted, nonetheless.  I am trying so hard to work on my careless words and thoughtless speech and my spiteful attitude.  We all have our crosses to bear.  Not that you'll ever read this, but you need to know that I made my purchase and left the store, to wait as MILove made her purchase, so I wouldn't have to cross your path...with the cross I bear.  As I said, I have been trying very hard to work on my words and my sass.  I like the sassy side of my personality, but it isn't always lovely or noble or honorable.  I am diligently endeavoring to be just that....lovely, noble and honorable.  Most days, I do well...some days, not so much.  The days that I do well aren't because of anything in me.  It is an outpouring of God's grace and me being filled with His Spirit.  The days I fail...that's ALL me.  Saturday could have been one of those ALL me days.  I'm thankful it wasn't....and you should be, too. 

Extending basic courtesies and kindness to your fellow human beings (remember...you are NOT the only one) is not painful.  What is guaranteed to be painful, however, is a life filled with this kind of uncivil and ungracious behavior because it always comes back to roost.  No fair to act surprised or shocked...you reap what you sow.  Consider yourself warned.  And I strongly encourage you to heed my warning.  Strongly.

Share it with your friends and the rest of the selfish tribe.  That's called "kindness."  Consider it the first step on your road to recovery. 

Comments