Alphabetically Michelle







I love a good writing prompt. Or, I did when I was taking writing classes in school. I used to have a box of writing prompts that I used with my students. Long since given away...hope they are being put to good use. So, here's one of my favorites...using the alphabet to tell you a little bit more about me. Maybe you'll learn something you didn't know about me. Maybe you'll be shocked and horrified...although, I doubt that. My mama reads this thing, for pity's sake. Maybe you'll laugh, shed a tear, or be convinced that there's a better use of your free time. 

A is for Angelic. That's my middle name. But you say it with the pronunciation of "Angelique." Mama was a fan of the super campy-goth soap opera "Dark Shadows." There was a character named Angelique. Beautiful name, but she baaaaad. Like, cursing the town with vampires and practicing black magic kind of bad. I've never asked Mama why she misspelled it. Being a Christmastime baby, it's fun having a seasonal name. "With angelic hosts proclaim...,": it's like having my own personal Christmas carol.

B is for bougie. I can do prosciutto and Gruyere one night but turn around for fried green tomatoes and grits the next night. I like nice things. I have been blessed with a comfortable life that is a far cry from my humble beginnings. I want to think that I could pass for "high brow" or "upper crust" but I don't know. More than likely, in a "high brow" situation, I'd open my mouth and remove any doubt about my true station. 

C is for creative. Bring me the paint, the glitter, the tulle, the glue gun, the craft paper, the ribbon, the markers, the charcuterie boards.  During the craziness of Lockdown, I was making animals out of toilet paper tubes!

D is for dishes! So, I have two complete sets that I purchased. One at the local Episcopal church's yard sale. Back in 1999...$40 for a complete set of 8...bone china...hold it up to the light and you can see through it. The other one I bought in 2018 to replace the Pfaltzgraff I got when I got married. It was out of production (because white, with a simple scalloped detail on the edge is too trendy?) and we were getting a little desperate for "every day" dishes. The other three sets (do not judge) have been inherited. Two from MILove and one from Granny. I have random pieces that's I've been purchased or given.  Yep, I think I need to write a full story about my dishes.

E is for Eric. Also known as Mr. Snark. He is the logic to my nonsense; the steady to my fickle; the quiet to my jabbering. He stole my heart with a joke and a smile. Full of information and knowledge. He doesn't suffer fools lightly or gladly. Love me, Lord ha'mercy, he loves me. When he says "I love you more," he's not playing. Mischievous. SO funny! Noisy. Stubborn. Generous. Loyal. Introverted. He says that I have to be extroverted for both of us...wish granted! Talented. And mine. Lest you have any doubts. He's mine.

F is for friendly. I make friends easily. Letting go of relationships is hard.

G is for giggles. See "L is for laughter."

H is for hospitality. Was having a conversation with a heart-sister, just the other night, and someone recently said to her, "Oh...you have the gift of hospitality!" My friend said, "Maybe. But you wouldn't say that if knew my friend Michelle." I like people to feel welcome, at home, included, special.

I is for imaginative. My imagination is probably my strongest muscle. 

J is for joy. The world didn't give it and the world can't take it away. 

K is for kitchen. As in, put me in the kitchen and let me go. Someone come in afterward and clean up, though.

L is for laughter. I love to laugh. Love making people laugh. Have a knack for laughing at inappropriate times. Me and Chanandler Bong. I can laugh out loud right by myself and not feel any kind of odd about it.

M is for mother. I love being a mama. What an adventure it has been! If being Mama has been this much fun, the next stage is going to be an absolute blast.

N is for nosy. Curious would be a nicer way of saying it but nosy is accurate. Why people do what they do and say what they say is endlessly fascinating.

O is for overbearing. Just being honest. I am too much. My friend Grace would argue and say that I'm not. She would say that everyone else is just slacking. Everyone needs a friend like Grace.

P is for perky. Disarming the good folks of NYC with a smile and "Good morning!"

Q is for quirky. I don't like sleeping under crooked bed covers. My shampoo and conditioner have to be the same brand. Only Heinz ketchup will do. I love chocolate peanut butter ice cream, but don't come to me with the peanut butter chocolate ice cream. Ick.

R is for rowdy. Don't sit by me in choir if you want to just blend in. You will be known as "the one who sits next to the happy-clappy-dancing lady." And you probably don't want to sit next to me at a church conference or large group meeting. I will have comments. I will likely draw attention to myself...and you, by proximity.

S is for SAVED! Thank you, Jesus, for salvation that has nothing to do with anything I can create or contrive. S is also for Sassy...which is what my little people and their parents call me. And it tickles me!

T is for talkative. We'll just leave it there.

U is for useful. I have a friend who calls me to help her remember details about people we know or conversations we've had. I'm good for a meal if folks are convalescing, grieving, celebrating, or just hungry. Need someone to sit with you while you cry or rage? I'm your girl. 

V is vivacious. Full of life. Some mischief, here and there. Ready for fun. 

W is for wacky. I have been known to burst into song...in public. Have also been caught dancing in the aisles while shopping. 

X is for ...I got nothing.

Y is for ...refer to X.

Z is for zealous. Causes that are near and dear to my heart will get everything I have. People who are near and dear to me...I will go to the grass for them. Go big or stay home.

If you stayed for all 26 letters of this, a gold star for you! 

Comments