On Being a Lady

So, last Thursday, there I was...in the dentist's chair for my regular six-month check up.  Love my dentist...love that office.  Fast, friendly, professional, clean...they are the best.  I see the same hygienist every time and she's just a doll.  She's doing her thing and I'm, well...lying there...DUH!  The TV's on...morning "news" show...two female anchors...one of them, her first name rhymes with Yoda.  Got it?  One of their segments was with this rather cheeky, snarky British author.  She's written a book that deals with a modern retelling or redefining of feminism. 

According to this author, the first step of feminism is understanding that you are, indeed, "a lady."  Those were her words and she went on to say that being a lady comes when you realize that you have a (insert proper anatomical name for what makes a girl, a girl, here)!  She said THAT word on morning television.  And she kept saying it.  Thankfully, my hygienist was to the flossing part of our date!  Had she still been poking around, there would have been blood.  We were both coming apart in gales of shocked laughter.  This wasn't a segment on women's health...where THAT word would have been so much more appropriate and probably wouldn't have caught us quite off guard.  This program isn't even close to what I'd consider serious journalism.  I didn't hear ANYTHING else this author, Rhymes with Yoda, or her double named co-host had to say.  They lost me...and my hygienist.  About twenty seconds after she dropped THAT word on air, my dentist saunters into the room to check my hygienist's work.  He's curious about the source of our laughter and wants in on the fun.  OMW!!!!!!!!!!  Right...I'm going to explain it to him!  "I'm sure Ashley will be more than GLAD to share that with you....AFTER I leave."  Sorry, Ashley...you can be a little rough with the flossing next time!

Here's the deal:  while our British sister might have an idea about what being a "modern feminist" means, she really has no clue about being a lady.  Being a woman--being of the female gender--and being a lady are two different things.  A person's gender isn't up for choosing (Please, don't argue this with me...please!).  How a person uses the characteristics of that gender is another story.  How a female uses her powers (You know we have them...some of use them for good, others...not so much!)is what separates the field.  Ladies.  Dames.  Broads.  Chicks.  Gurls (think roller derby).  Hard hearted Hannahs.  Jezebels.  Man-eaters.  Run around Sues.  Mamasitas.  Flygirls.  It's about attitude...NOT anatomy.  We all have the same basic parts.  Parts are parts.  Our souls...our cores...our hearts...THAT'S where the biggest differences lie.

A lady...always knows the right thing to say and if she doesn't, she keeps her mouth closed.  (I am still working on that.  I'm thinking it's going to be a life long effort.  A lady is friendly, hospitable, gracious and kind.  A lady is always in control of herself...no loud outbursts or excessively flamboyant behavior.  (Not sure I'll EVER get to check that one off the list.)  A lady is selfless and compassionate.  A lady is sincere and genuine.  She makes those around her feel welcome, important and at ease.  She does not delight in the downfall or misfortune of those aligned opposite of her.  A lady is considerate of those around her and is always mindful of the fact that she is not the only one in the world.  She's not afraid to step outside of her comfort zone and will always give full effort to everything she tries.  If it's worth the trouble of doing, then it's worth doing right.  She finishes what she starts and is always willing to lend a hand...manicure be hanged!  People want to be around her, but she doesn't need to be the center of attention.  She doesn't complain about things she can't control.  She makes do with what she has.  She turns the lemons life hands her into gallons and gallons of delicious lemonade and is always willing to share.  She's confident.  She is strong.  She is human...fully aware of how flawed she is, with no pretense of perfection.  She loves.  (CHECK)  She laughs. (CHECK)  She cries.  (CHECK-CHECK)  And she is all of this, does all of this, embodies all of this in yoga pants at the grossery store or in high heels on date night with the Hubs.

I'd like to tell Ms. CheekySnarky that she has it all wrong...but that wouldn't be lady-like, would it?  (I told you...it might be a life long process for me!)

Comments

  1. Michelle, I agree that anatomy doesn't make a lady (or a gentlemen). There is a lot more to it. I'm wondering, though, if the Brit hadn't used that certain word, if you would have watched the rest of her interview? I didn't see the interview, but I'm always curious as to how words are used. There was a similar incident last month when a member of the Michigan Congress used the word and was penalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am VERY interested in words. I went back and watched the interview online and it was good interview. The whole thing didn't last longer than five minutes...is that long enough to be an interview? LOL I don't have a problem with that particular word...given the right setting and context. It's not one I go slinging around in everyday conversation:)

      Delete

Post a Comment