The Pickle Post

In a recent "fit" of the munchies that took possession my brain, , I rummaged through the ice box and found a jar of pickles.  YES!  All of the sudden, getting a few of those little, (snack sized to be specific...PERFECT) green darlings in my mouth was vital to sustaining my existence.  And the minute the first one hit my tongue, I was over the moon!  And why?  I have no sweet clue!  Our usual brand...our usual flavor...nothing out of the ordinary.  I put a few in a little dish and munched like it was the first time I'd ever eaten a pickle!  Crazy, right?! 

So....do you like pickles?  What kind do you like?  To be quite honest, I'm not sure I've met one that I don't like.  Dill, sour, sweet, bread-and-butter, lime, chili garlic (made by my friend Vicki...LOVE YOU!), zesty, Russian (how Littlest Friend's mama compensates me for babysitting...it works for us), store bought, home-made...bring them on!  I guess the only ones I'm not crazy about would be the ones that are super spicy...I like my taste buds...they are my friends.  It's not nice to burn your friends.  When I was little, Granny and Papa "put up" pickles every summer.  They made lime pickles.  I'm not sure I remember what they tasted like, but I remember liking them and I remember their dark color.  The brine permeated the house...our clothes...our hair...and had the other kids in the neighborhood calling us "The Pickle Girls."  As childhood taunts go, it's not the worst I've ever heard...and it meant that there would be pickles to eat!! 

Pickles can be polarizing.  I have a friend who can't stand a bread-and-butter pickle.  Would you like to know where the term "bread and butter" comes from?  Evidently, there were some Illinois cucumber farmers that used the less than Grade-A pickings to make pickles and traded them for staples like....bread and butter!  I have other friends who only like sweet pickles...and sweet are different from bread and butter.  The Younglings only like dill...or sour.  Their favorite are the Cl*ussen "Chill Dills."  Once upon a time, Y1 plowed through nearly a whole jar of dill spears in one lunch sitting...by himself!  True story!

How do you like them?  On hot dogs, on hamburgers, on chicken sammiches, on BBQ sammiches.  In soup (cheeseburger soup...it's DIVINE), in chicken salad, in ham salad, in tuna salad...in macaroni tuna salad (like my mama makes).  On ham sammiches, on ham and cheese sammiches....on cheese sammiches.  (Sharp cheddar, bread and butter pickles and a little butter on the bread...YUM!)  Along side a good Reuben...along side a good Club.  Rolled up inside slices of ham that have been slathered with cream cheese...we call them "green eyed monsters." 

Or...just straight out of the jar.  (Using a fork, of course...or, not.)

Comments