Prom 2016: We Believe in Fairytales

No surprise that there's a blog entry about the prom supper party, is there?  Come on...that's almost a no-brainer!  This will probably go down as one of my favorite party planning ventures.  I'm eternally thankful that "Night of Enchantment" was chosen for the prom's theme.  Other themes in the running were "Egyptian Nights" and "Street Signs."  An Egyptian-themed party would have stretched me, but I'm fairly certain I could have pulled it off.  But "Street Signs"....seriously? 

Would it surprise you to know that my planning process started with the "writer/wordsmith" side of me?  I took a clean sheet of paper (I know...who uses paper and pen, anymore??) and wrote "FAIRY TALE" at the top of it and proceeded to list all the words that came to my mind.  On that list were things like:  gold, silver, shiny, sparkly, fairy, pixie, dragon, white, candles, vines, prince, knight, princess, troll, potion, spell, forest, witch, unicorn, time, rainbow, secret, beast, velvet, moss, gnomes, satin, feathers, glass, crown.....you get the idea.  From there, I logged some time on P*nterest.  Admittedly, that website is a dangerous time vacuum, but it is also a treasure trove of ideas and jumping off points.  That's what I needed...a jumping off point.  I didn't need instructions...just a visual that matched what was beginning to take shape in my imagination.  Pretty soon, the words running through my head were "white, wood, gold, silver, candles and glass."  The journey from my imagination to reality is often difficult.  Not every idea can make a successful crossing.  Every so often, one does and far exceeds my expectations.  I surprised myself...is that prideful to say?  Forgive me if it is, but that's a bit of party-planning truth...I was beyond pleased. 

Enough about the process, right?  Let's get to the good stuff...the pictures!  For those of you who've already seen them, indulge me for the sake of those who read my blog, but don't participate in F*cebook.
 It all starts at the front door.
 
 The wood used in the front porch décor was all "reclaimed."  I noticed a couple of different piles around town.  Most likely, trees were taken down because of the danger they imposed to the dwelling or because they were afflicted with some sort of tree cooties.  You can't really see the logs for the tulle and fixings...but it's there.
 
 Mr. Yeats hit it right on the head.
 
 
 Very exclusive party of four.
 
 
 (See the wood??)  The story of this little bird is that it was a gift from the first Tablescapes I ever attended at our B'ham church.  When I see it, I think of the lady who was the table hostess...and later became a precious friend.
 
 Tree fern and babies' breath from a local florist.  Willow branches, vases and candle cups from my office.
 
 
 The table.  I grabbed a $10 bouquet from the grocery store to add a pop of color.
 
 
 The menu card:  I had a great time looking up quotes to "match" each menu item.  My favorite has to be the one for the pork roast.  "Ha!  Your pig fiancé's too late!"  Anyone????  It's from "The Princess Bride!"  Get it....pig...pork loin?  Hehehe!
 
 
 I loved everything about all of it, but my absolute favorite was the carnations I hung from the dining room light.  Saw that on P*nterest....and it really added a punch of whimsy!  I may leave them there for a while.  Seriously.
 
 
 It's the little things.
 
 
 Our knight in shining armor.   Well, in a formal, grey suit.   Would you like to know the difference between renting a formal, grey suit and a tux?  $50 and no cummerbund/vest.
 
 
 He finally measured six-feet tall at his last pediatric well check.
 
 
 Believe it or not, I didn't shed the first tear.  I'm saving them all for graduation!
 
 
 She had her heart set on a fresh arrangement.  Silk is more forgiving and familiar, but I think it turned out pretty well.  Tree fern, daisies, button mums and babies' breath.
 
 
 What kind of fairytale would it be if the knight in shining armor had no sword?? 
 
 
 The pinning
 
 
 The party of four.  They've known each other since second grade.  Even with our eight year break from Smalltown, it was kind of neat to realize that they share history.
 




 Our knight and his "Sunshine."
 
 
 Why?  Because he hadn't lifted and toted quite enough that day!
 
 
 Our knight, his "Sunshine" and her parents...they did a fine job raising her.
 
 
 The ladies
 
 
 The fellows
 
 
 Rockin' the "James Bond" look...I'd buy a ticket.
 
 



 Leaving room for The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit
 
 
 Thankfully, Prom didn't end in a Titanic like fashion!
 
 
 Bueller?  Bueller? 
 
 
 They have on grown up clothes, but you can see the little boys lurking inside!
 
 
 Just beautiful!
 
 
 Happy sigh....
 
 
 Candles lit...salads set!
 
 



 
 
Had to get them coming in the door

 
 
 
 
 So I made a special "Prom Poition."  Sprite, pineapple juice, and apple raspberry juice in a bottle with a tag that said, "Drink me."  The Resident Senior enjoyed being in charge of the bottle.  The fancy seal made that awesome "POP" sound every time he opened it. 
 
 
Good friends...good food...a night that will always bring a smile to their faces.
 
 
My favorite part of the evening...when they walked in and the three that don't live here gasped out loud...and then the one who does, chuckling at their reaction.  And while they all (including the one who lives here) were verbal and demonstrative of their gratitude, that gasp was all the thanks I needed...or wanted.
 
As all good fairy tales go....this one had a very happy ending.

Comments