Dear Michael Moore...

I usually ignore you and the things that you say.  Well, I get a bit twisted...cool off and then go back to ignoring you.  We've never met.  The chances of you reading this are slim, but I'll have said what I need to say and then I can get on with my life...and go back to ignoring you. 

The water crisis in Flint is serious.  You and I can agree on that.  It's sad.  It's ridiculous and most likely, it is a problem that could have and should have been avoided.  The ball was dropped...we can also agree on that.  We part company when it comes to placing blame.  Without question, bad decisions were made...homework wasn't done...lives have needlessly been jeopardized.  I don't believe one person is at fault.  This toxic pot of soup had many chefs and trying to decide who carries the most blame is a waste of time. 

I believe in compassion, Mr. Moore.  I believe when moved by the suffering of our fellow man, we are to act...to do SOMETHING to try and alleviate that suffering.  ACT...not just talk about what to do...DO IT!  That's why people are sending bottled water to Flint.  They don't know what else to do.  They can't fix the city's water system.  They can't reverse the damage that the lead poisoning has caused.  They can't heal the broken lives.  They can't cure the generational desperation that has sucked the life out of Flint, Michigan.  What they can do is send water...from geographical places where the demand for bottled water might not be so high...from financial places of having enough and wanting to bless someone else out of that surplus...from the financial places where maybe two cases of bottled water will be a sacrificial gift, but done with a willing and grateful heart.  These bottles of water are being sent from emotional places of concern and kindness...from spiritual places that call us to bear one another's burdens...to lift up the arms of those in battle.  Instead of criticizing the ones who've sent the bottled water, why don't you pony up and donate a few thousand cases yourself?   That would be a much better use of your resources.  Maybe you have...I don't know.  I haven't seen that in the news.  No more hateful words...no more hash tags...no more op-ed pieces...no more press conferences.  No more, Mr. Moore.

I love Flint and always will.  To see this once vibrant city fall to wrack and ruin is heartbreaking.  My people left the cotton fields of Arkansas to come to Flint, hoping for better opportunities.  Their lives would have been very different had they not taken that chance.  My life would have been very different.  I haven't sent any water, yet, but I will and I'm going to tell you why I will, Mr. Moore.  I am a Christian...and hopefully, not in name only.  I am compelled by the love Christ has shown me to love those around me.  It's hard...trust me.  Love in verb form...not the noun.  Putting feet to my words.  Banging on about the love of Jesus is one thing....living out the love of Jesus is something else.  What my actions say is far more important than the words coming out of my mouth.  I want to leave a legacy to my sons.  I want my life to show them that serving the needs of others is a good thing...that sacrificing their own needs/wants for the good of someone else is important.  Above all else, when I finally get to look into the face of my Savior, I want to hear him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

I will be sending water to Flint.  Despite your wishes.  Forgive me for ignoring you on that point. 

Sincerely,
Michelle

Comments