The Best Taco Salad...EVER!

It's hard to get my mind around just how much God cares about me and my life.  Down to the tiniest detail...nothing escapes his attention.  Can't begin to list how much escapes mine!  For example, taco salad was on last week's menu.  Despite the weekly trip to the grossery store  (remember...purposely misspelled to protest the gross amount of money I spend for the grossly disproportionate amount of food that I bring home) and then a trip to Stuff Mart a few days later, I managed to forget tortilla chips.  And this I remembered as I was driving home from work...having already passed both grossery stores and being just minutes from the driveway.  I knew we had about one-quarter of a bag in the pantry.  Out of my own selfish laziness, I just decided that we'd make it work.  The bag probably contained enough for my men-folk and that worked for me.

In the midst of gathering everything I needed from the pantry, I got a good eyeful of the pantry's disorganized state.  The Younglings don't share my appreciation of a well organized shelf.  Y2 was dispatched to instill some sense of order to the chaos.  He's so gifted...smart, intelligent, bright...but this concept of "straighten the shelf" puzzled him.  He needed supervision.  As he worked, I happened to glance at the shelf above him and there sat an unopened box of taco shells.  Not something I usually buy...we prefer soft shells or chips...couldn't remember when I'd bought them...but there they were.  Y'all, I did a little happy dance. 

A happy dance for taco shells.  Seriously?!  None of us were going to go hungry because there weren't enough tortilla chips.  And it would have been a complete meal...plenty of calories and nutrients.  It just would have been...lacking?  Complete, but not complete.  Does that make sense?  The details of putting a good meal on the table for my family...for friends...are important to me.  It's part of being "The Mom."  So, yes...a happy dance and then grabbing the teachable moment to remind Y2 just how truly good God is...."Look, pal!  Taco shells!  God is SO good and faithful to us."  In turn, my brown eyed darling made his own list of The Almighty's character attributes.  And then he asked, "What brought all this on?"  So I had to 'splain it to him...and he was pretty tickled, too.

When I shared this with my boss (and friend, who has become dearer to me with each passing day), she got all misty eyed and it had me puzzled.  She said it just reminded her that if we can trust him with the littlest details, how much more can we trust him with the BIG things?!  So. very. true!  Taco shells are a little thing when compared with terminal illness, poverty, and violent acts of terrorism.  In those darkest of moments, it's these little graces that get us through because the remind us that he truly NEVER leaves or forsakes us.

Who knew that a taco shell could preach?

Comments