It's a Smoothie of An Entry

For lack of one specific topic....
  • I bought once of those smoothie blenders.  Not the high dollar, A-list brand name machines, but one that looked nice and seemed to be comparable to the high dollar, A-list brand name unit.  I've enjoyed it, immensely.  In these last dog days of summer, the cool and fruity goodness of a smoothie is just what I need. 
  • Y2 made the football team at the middle school.  Watching him walk into the field house, in full pads, left me a bit gobsmacked.  Okay, A LAWT gobsmacked!  He looked so different.  His gait altered by his cleats and the exhaustion of practice...hair in a halo of sweaty ringlets (the curls that he had as a tyke are back and with a vengeance)...looking every bit of grown up!  I wanted to cry....but I didn't...much.  I was in my car, alone, so if I did, I had no witnesses.
  • Speaking of Y2's ringlets, both of the boyos have been revisited with the curls of their toddler years.  Neither one of them will heed my wisdom or allow me to show them the benefits of curly hair.  Y2's are a little more manageable...Y1's....lawdy mercy, they are a different type of beast.
  • I still maintain that Jesus put me in my job at the clinic to provide comic relief for the staff.  Case in point...I had just finished up a counseling session that was particularly heartbreaking. Our client was not a native speaker of English and while she'd been in the US for many years, her spoken English was HEAVILY accented.  "Heavily accented" might be an understatement, but that's all I got.  Her appointment didn't go as most usually go and she was so upset, but kept patting my hand and comforting me..."Oh, honey...you so sweet.  You so nice.  You my angel, honey."  I was pretty muddled...did she really understand all that we had to tell her...would she follow up on the instructions our nurse provided?  Stupid language barrier!  The phone rang and a familiar question greeted me, "Do you speeeek Spanish?"  (I always go into a mini-session of self loathing at this question....WHY ON EARTH DID I TAKE FRENCH?)  The caller was not discouraged by the fact that I did not speak Spanish because she said, "Oh, ok!  I speeeek a leeeeetle Eeeeeeenglish....you help me!"  I found myself sincerely praying that God would gift me with the ability to speak Spanish...these phone calls do this to me every time!  At some point, I realized that I was getting louder.  Not that she was going to understand me out of shear volume and then I realized that my left hand was signing and finger spelling the directions to our location!  Not that she could see me....was deaf or could understand ASL.  At that point, I guess I was calling on everything I knew to get this caller in the door.  And I want you to know, she found us.  (That had more to do with Jesus, than me.)
  • A good friend recently had her first baby.  She's so kind to let me have a somewhat obsessive bond with her little girl.  To think, the boyos were that brand new, once upon a time!  Every little coo and sigh is delightful!  Every grimace and sleeping smile is pure magic.  A teeny-tiny part of me is envious of my friend...and other new mommies....to be at the beginning of this parenting road.  Don't get me wrong...not dealing with midnight feedings and surprise diaper blow-outs is marvelous...but it went by so quickly and I often wonder if I took enough time to cherish those early years.
A little of this and that...kind of like all those smoothies I've been making!

Comments

  1. Time is fleeting. This second time around I am reminded of it more than ever, and I lament greatly when I answer a request to play a game with a negative. I am always telling myself that there simply must be a way to squeeze more into a day. Oh, and I agree with your mama, your writings ARE always the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment