June Jumble

Oh...just a few odds and ends that have been rattling about in my brain.
  • Another school year in the books.  Both boys did very well; I am pleased.  I am thankful.  Y2 finished with all A's for his final marks...seriously, all A's...I never made all A's.  All A's and a good bit of 7th grade Honors Day swag.  And he wore a Fedora to the assembly...he said...wait for it..."I'm fedora-ble, Mama!"  Yes, yes, my beautiful, lanky limbed weirdo...totally fedora-ble. 
  • Y1 is now a Senior....GULP!  He had his Senior head shot taken for the yearbook, last week...and it's gorgeous.  I'm biased but I'm also honest.  He is a beautiful creature.  I don't know that on my best day I've been as this kid has been all of his life!
  • Y1 has been moved to "back of house" at Mr. Cathy's Chicken Shack.  He spent his first year on the front counter and he liked it.  He's a social critter, like his mama.  Interaction with the public comes pretty easily to him.  Learning what happens behind the swinging door makes him more versatile to the company and just adds to his experience.  And he's learning to cook!  Makes me very, very happy.
  • We have a girlfriend in the family.  She and Y1 have been "official" for about a week.  They are cute together...kind of striking.  He's tall and fair...she's petite and brunette.  She's really smart and speaks Geek and Sarcasm fluently.  She's also deathly allergic to mushrooms....which scares me witless.  Not a good way to make an impression on her family if I make her sick...or dead, for that mater, is it?  Anyway, it's another odd stage in this parenting journey.  Watching your kid negotiate a "romantic" relationship...and trying to figure out your part in this.  Adding new duties to "mom resume":  purity police, couch space measurer, keeper of chaste conversation, keeper of evil eye glares, human caution flag, time keeper.  It's ok...I didn't have anything else to do.
  • Y2 spent a week with B'ham Youth Pastor and family, in keeping with Mr. Snark's family's tradition of "The 13th Summer."  The eventually ended up in B'ham...spending most of the week in ATL with their extended family.  He didn't call the whole week he was gone.  Oh, I take that back...he did call...a pocket dial.  And when I picked him up, it wasn't all..."Oh, I missed you...I wanna tell you everything that we did!"  It was, "I could have stayed longer.  I didn't have to come home, today."  Can't fault him, though, if I had the chance to spend a week with them, I wouldn't want it to end, either!
  • Do you have N*tflix?  If you do, watch "Doc Martin."  It's a BBC production and it's quirky and charming and so British.  I'm watching it, again, because it was so enjoyable the first time...and because the selection of newer listings has been questionable. 
  • A good friend of mine just had her third baby...another is having her first...and I must admit, it makes me a little nostalgic for the newness of life.  You know...the warm snuggles of a new baby.  The way their seemingly boneless bodies conform to the shape of yours.  What about those little lips?  And the tops of their heads?  And their little toes?  And the juicy upper thighs when they begin to fill out?  Makes my heart all squishy!
  • The new office is AMAZING!  Did I tell you we moved?  We moved.  There...now you know.  Bigger location.  Better parking and by that I mean no cranky neighbors calling the police department to tattle on us.  The directions are much more succinct...trying to get clients to the downtown office was an adventure...and a pain.  My personal office area is a real office...not a former closet.  Everything looks professional and top notch.  My director's thinking about getting me a headset for the phone and with all sincerity, that just thrills me to death!  It truly does.  Told you I had this inner secretary vibe!
  • Mr. Snark's Great Aunt died last week.  She outlived all of her siblings, their parents, her husband and both of her sons.  She was amazing.  She was born in a section of what is now The Smoky Mountains National Park.  She was full of mountain wisdom, love, kindness, Jesus, beans and vinegar...but only when needed.  She was ninety-eight years old.  Ninety-eight....my goodness.  I have no doubt it was a grand reunion when she got to Heaven.
So...there's a little...until I have more.

Comments