A Little More Than A Year Ago

A little more than a year ago, I woke up for the last morning that the B'ham would be my home town.  I walked through what had been such a wonderful place to live for five good years.  The house seemed so big...emptied of all of our belongings and boogying their way to SMALLtown.  As I walked through, I could hear the echo of my steps and the echoes of the memories we'd made within those walls. 

A little more than a year ago, I picked up Y2 from his shelter at Youth Pastor's house.  You all remember his reaction to the boxing up of our life...who can forget?  He needed a safe place of escape and as any child in our youth group knew, Youth Pastor's house was the place to be.  There's always vacancy...the light's always on, and so is the coffee pot.  I wondered if he'd ever trust me again...would the damage to his little heart be more than he could forgive? 

A little more than a year ago, I drove into a town that we'd called home for eight years.  I had to fight the impulse to head in the direction of our old house...seemed a natural thing to do.  It was wonderful to be under the same roof...after being apart for more than three months.  Beds assembled and dressed with clean sheets and new comforters...we WOULD sleep like proper folks.  Oh...and coffee pot found, because as everyone knows, we are at the age where coffee in the morning makes everything better.  (And bacon...according to The One I Married and The Two I Carried, bacon makes everything better.)

A little more than a year ago, I said goodbye to friends that had become like family.  We've had this conversation, before...about the blessing of "friemily."  People are quick to say disparaging things about this age of social media, but having the ability to see glimpses of their lives while no longer being in close proximity, makes the miles seem fewer in number.

And so...here we are...

A little more than a year later.

Life in our old/new hometown has been good to us.  God has been good to us.  As he always is.  Someone recently asked about the boys' adjustments..."Have the boys prospered?" was the exact wording.  With all confidence and thankfulness, I can say that they have.  And if they are happy, I truly am.  Each of us finding our niches.  Some of us quicker than others, but all of us feeling very much settled and at home.  We do pine for our far away friends....and larger scale civilization. (Oh, Publix....none can compare!)   There is a charm and sweetness about life in a small town that is of great comfort.

Amazing...the changes that take place in three hundred and sixty five plus days.

Comments