Read This: Bloom

I just finished reading this AMAZING book.  When I say amazing, I am  not exaggerating in the slightest.  It is AMAZE-BALLS!

Kelle Hampton wrote this book about the birth of her second child, Nella, and more importantly, the birth of her...Kelle's....true self.  Nella has Down Syndrome and it wasn't something Kelle and her husband...their family...their friends....were expecting.  They opted out of the magical blood test that looks for that "magical chromosome."  Maybe you can imagine what a shock it was when Kelle first looked at her newborn daughter and saw the tell-tale markers of DS...the almond shaped eyes, squished nose and the low position of her little ears.  All the plans...all the dreams...all the hopes...none of it included Down Syndrome.  Kelle (if I may be so familiar with her) wrote this story with a bare-naked honesty that is startling...and refreshing.  When she talks about grieving through the night after Nella's birth...waiting, begging for morning...I was right there with her.    There were moments that I thought the words would drip off the page because I could feel her tears.  And because of my own.  Uh-huh, it's that kind of book. 

I could go on and on and on about the beauty of this book but I don't think I could do it justice.  Do yourself a favor and find a copy.  You won't regret it.


Comments