Kitchen Travel

We went to India, last night....via the kitchen!  Easiest way to travel, don't you know?  You're looking at me like you don't understand.  I cooked Indian food, last night.  Or...what might have passed for Indian food since none of us have ever had it.  I've been in the grips of a recipe rut that I'm nearly desperate to shake.  Foodie friends, does that ever happen to you?  I happened upon the chicken recipe and it was the inspiration for our culinary adventure.  I've always wanted do one of those
recipe" blogs...step by step pictures and all that...this seemed the perfect opportunity. 

The recipe for the Naan looked easy enough...it's a yeast based flat bread.  Timing is more the issue because of the hour for the first rising and then an additional 30 minutes of rising.


The cast of characters for the naan.
 
1pkg. dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
3T. milk
1 egg, beaten
2-1/4 tsp. salt
4-1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup melted butter
 
 
Warm bath for the yeast.  Needs to sit for 10 minutes.
 
 
Add milk.
 
 
Add sugar.
 
 
Beat the egg and add it to the bowl.
 
 
Add the salt.  Can't find my salt picture.  Then the flour. One cup at a time.
 
 
After the 4th cup.
 
 
You need a lightly floured surface for kneading
 
 
 
Kneading...6-8 minutes.  Shameless product placement.
 
 
Oil in the bowl.
 
 
Dough in the bowl and then cover with damp towel.  Let rise for one hour.  Size should change significantly.
 
 
 
 
BUT....it didn't.  Had to be the yeast.  I found it in a different cabinet and was surprised to find it.  It's not something I keep on hand. I buy it when necessary.
 
 
I did have this....and wondered if it would work to whip up a second batch????
 
 
Nope....and it's there in black and white.
 
 
 
I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed.  I did what any good cook does in this type of situation....I made do with what I had.
 
 
Pita bread!  Same concept...different part of the world.
 

 
Here's the final plating...no one feigned lack of hunger.  Y2 has a signal when he doesn't like something.  He'll be chewing his mouthful, with his arms crossed in lap, rubbing his elbows.  His elbows were lonely, during dinner, so it wasn't all that bad. 
 
Not sure we'll try the whole meal again...but I will be making the naan.  With fresh yeast, of course. 
 


Comments