Their Night to Shine

In all my prayers about this move and the boys' adjustment to their new schools and our new-old hometown, going to the prom was never part of my thought process.  Three weeks into the new semester, Y1 comes home from school and just plows through the door with the announcement..."So, I kinda got asked to the prom."  No opening greetings...no introduction of the topic...just BLAM...there it is.  This is how he does conversation.  I'm hoping that he refines his verbal processing in the next couple of years.  Getting detailed information out of this child almost requires the skills of a man-eating district attorney, so after a bit of pointed probing, the details were much more lucid.  I'm told this is how boys communicate. I'm here to tell you that it is exhausting! 

They have Comparative Religion together...she's a junior...she reminds him of a sweet friend from B'ham...she plays softball...used to be on the swim team...teaches swim lessons...leads Bible study in her youth group...honor student at school (may her studious nature inspire him)...funny...sweet...cute.  He asked if she was going to the prom...she said she didn't have a date....and there you go.  Or, there they go...went.  He gets it from his daddy, who got it from his.  The men of this family...there's just SOMETHING about them.  Trust me!


Forgive me for the crick that's going to develop in your neck after looking at these pictures. I rotated them before saving them, so they SHOULD be  properly oriented, but there must be some trick I've forgotten or never knew.  ANYWAY...love, love, love a white dinner jacket.  So classy and elegant.  He says "very James Bond."  I have to agree.


 The Youngman and his Meemaw...she and I look each other eye to eye, so I don't think much about her height.  Until she stands next to her grandson who is knocking at the door of six feet tall!



I'd almost give my eye teeth for a rewind button!  Just to visit the days when L*rry Boy and Sp*derMan filled his imagination and his biggest concern was having light up tennis shoes.
 






At Miss Lady's house.  The group that they were "promming" with decided it would be more fun to eat at someone's house instead of trying to cram in at one of the local restaurants.  So they had a LOVELY meal of chicken fettuccine Alfredo, garlic rolls, salad and cheesecake.  Miss Lady's mama had me sample one of the rolls to see if they were baked enough.  I told her that I'd have to pray about it.  "Thank you, Jesus, for homemade bread!  AMEN!"
 



The prom had a Gatsby theme, so his dinner jacket was PERFECT. I made their flowers.  Miss Lady asked Y1 if I was a florist and he said, "No...she's just VERY crafty and LOVES a project."  Which is so true. I had fun making their flowers and they could be sure that no one else's would look like theirs.  As it turns out, Miss Lady loves peacock feathers...her corsage had three.
 

 
 

 They do make a handsome couple, don't they?  They have a sweet friendship and I think, at their ages, that's more important than chasing after what might be deep infatuation or puppy love.  Her mama and I agree that we hope their friendship abides, because we've decided that WE could be really good friends. Always comes back to the mama, right?
 

 

 
Too cool for school.  All that AND a bag of chips.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert two times a week.  MY HEART!!!!
 
 This is them...SO very them.  They lock horns and sometimes it's like watching two dogs...each intent on being the Alpha. And then it's like watching two kids cutting up and reveling in their testosterone...conspiring against me.
 
 

Didn't we just bring him home from the hospital?  Didn't he just say, "Bye, Mama!  Have a good day!  I'll be fine...you will, too!" as he got out of the car for his first day of Kindergarten?
 

A love greater than all the sweet tea in Dixie!
 
 

 These two were pals before we left SMALLtown back in 2005...and here they are...on the edge of full blown manhood.  Help me, Rhonda!
 
 
Pretty table for the wonderful meal.
 
 
He rolled in about 11:30 and was wired, so we sat up and talked.  Sounds like it was a lot of fun and he was glad that he went.  And as much of a surprise as this whole thing was, for me, I know that God was in the details...giving me the desire of my heart that Y1 would have a sense of belonging and acceptance in his new environment. 
 
And so he does.

Comments