Blessings In The Oddest Forms


My former choir director sent me the link to an AMAZING song a few weeks before we joined our new church.  I came apart at the seams!  If you're shocked that I was moved to a torrent of tears, you must be new around here!  Welcome!!!!  Maybe that's why the space bar on this keyboard feels kinda mushy...it's waterlogged!  It's absorbed all it can and can't take any more!  Knowing that they were working on something SO awesome...that my darling friend JM had the solo (SIDEBAR...JM:  You better SING that song, honey! Sing it like you've never sung anything in your life. It's going to be just wonderful.  I know it is!)..I can't really explain how much it made me miss "my" choir!  It was going to be some kind of morning when they sang this and it made me heartsick not to be part of it.

Imagine my GREAT surprise when New Choir director made the announcement, last night, that we would be singing "This Blood" on Easter morning.  I nearly jumped out of my skin and the soloist is wonderful...oh my stars!  Let's just say if she and Sister Sings The Paint Off The Walls ever got together....GLORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Even the stillest Baptist would have to get up and shout! 

So, I've spent some time looking at the different versions of this song on The Tubes.  Here's the original.  If you've never heard of Prestonwood Church, let me just tell you...the music that comes out of there is RIDONKULOUS good!  Bradley Knight is their "in house" artist and he's a genius.  I love this version because it's like hearing the song being performed by the songwriter.  There's a level of genuineness that no one else can duplicate. I also love the soloist's voice.  She's got a tone that's similar to La Celine (as in Dion). There's also one little silver haired granny that OWNS me.  She claps her hand and raises them to Jesus and she's just precious.

Prestonwood "This Blood"

Then there's this version...done by a little, tiny church in little, tiny Shelby NC.  Their soloist communicates the message of this song in her face.  AND...she's just adorable in her yellow dress, with her tissue tucked in her hand.  I think they use a track that also has the back up vocals.  It's a BIG song...one that would be difficult for a smaller choir.  The back up track doesn't bother me.  I think it's wonderful that they saw past what others might see as a limitation and shared the message of this song.  Oh...I love the little man on the back row that looks like he might just come out of the choir loft and run a few laps through the church!

 

AND THEN....(to quote Y2)...there's this one, done by FBC Panama City.  I can't tell you why this one tore me up, but it did.  The soloist is incredible and their rendition just blessed my heart.


 
 
Last but not least, there's this one.
 
LOVE the horn section.  I love this one because the choir is worshipping and asking you to come with them.  They believe what they are singing and you can believe that they believe it!  I love the soloist because she is singing it like it is the last song she'll ever sing...like someone's life depends on it.  Because, in fact, it just might.  There might have been someone in that church...that morning...who had never heard one word about Jesus...and with this song...this one phenomenal song, they heard everything they'd ever need to know about Jesus.  AND....she's excited about it!  Do you see her stomping?!
 
So, today, among the list of blessings of this move is the fact that God granted me a beautiful opportunity to sing a beautiful song that I thought I was going to miss by not being in B'ham.  That's what I get for thinking!
 


Comments