January, Outage, March....

To most people, the current month is February.  To those of us in the power plant community, it's Outage.  What this means is that there are modifications, repairs and upgrades that need to be made and it has to be done within a specific period of time. We've been out of the power plant side of things for five years...it's been a LONG time since we've been through Outage.  AND...Mr. Snark's on nights.  It's been longer than five years since he's pulled a night shift rotation and I can just tell you, if it's another five years before he has to do another round of nights, I'm okay with that! 

It hasn't been bad...we've certainly been through worse, as outages go.  The first one he ever worked went on and on and on...not kidding you...I think it was almost two months long.  Two months worth of a lot of seven day work weeks...twelve hour shifts.  He's been able to sort of ease into this one, which has been nice, but we're still upside down.  He rolls in just before/right after the boys leave for school.  He eats something pretty simple and then crashes...only to wake up about 3:30pm-ish, to eat whatever meal that is and then by 5pm-ish, he's out the door.  He's able to sleep relatively well, since the boyos are at school.  I try to get everything I might need out of our room before he crashes.  I also try to be really quiet...which is really hard because my head suddenly becomes filled with a million different activities that I'd like to do....and every one of them is NOISY!!!!  That's just twisted, I know.  I didn't say that I actually did any of them, but it's terribly hard to resist the urge.  Isn't that how it always is....wanting what you can't have...wanting to do what you can't do?!

There is an upside to all of this...the boys think having cereal for supper is fun and I have an excuse for having a bit of a backlog on the laundry.  I have to go through our bedroom to get to the laundry room and I just can't be disturbing my sweet prince's beauty sleep! (Not that he needs it...he's seriously A-DORBS!)

Comments