Christmas Caroling....Day 6

"Away In A Manger" is special to me for so many reasons.  It is just a sweet, simple song that doesn't require any complicated orchestration or overworked vocal gymnastics.  This version, the music written by William J. Kirkpatrick (called "Cradle Song"...isn't that perfect) or the more widely known tune penned by James R. Murray...either one needing nothing more than a solo guitar, a solo violin or a tenderly played piano.  Anything more and the song, the message becomes unrecognizable.

It makes me think of choirs...preschool and children's choirs.  Little ones...some appearing before an audience for the very first time.  You know...the ones that get up on the stage and stare blankly into the crowd...too scared to move.  Then there are the ones who are more than comfortable on stage and realize they have a captive audience.  So they sing...and with gusto!  They move and wiggle...when the song is over, they will take a bow....and even yell, "HI, MAMA!  DID YOU SEE ME?" as they are ushered off the stage by the choir workers, who in my opinion do a VERY good job of hiding their wings under their clothes!  These people are angels!  Mr. Snark's Mamaw has the best story about "Away In A Manger."  Her oldest son was tongue-tied...severely...to the point that it posed a problem for his eating as an infant and his speech production as a toddler/preschooler. Words beginning with the /l/ sound came out with the /y/ sound.  So, Christmas rolls around and Mawaw's boy is singing with the other member of the Cherub Choir (PRECIOUS!) and instead of singing "the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head, " the entire Cherub Choir sings "the yittle Yord Yeesus yay down his sweet head!"  Mamaw's boy had quite the influence on his pals!

More than the others, this song holds a special place in my heart because I would sing it to my pregnant belly while carrying Y1.  I don't know traditional lullaby songs...but I can sing you any number of songs from The Baptist Hymnal.  So that's what I did...but this song more than any other.  The moment they put Y1 onto my chest...after uttering the completely shocked pronouncement of "HE LOOKS LIKE ME!"...I started singing AIAM to him...and he got still and quiet and looked at me.  I don't know if magic is real, but that's what it felt like.  (And as far as being shocked about how he looked...I spent the entire pregnancy assuming that he'd look like Mr. Snark's side of the clan...you should see these people!  Seriously...cloning has been going on for decades with that bunch!  The genetics are CRAZY!)

Today is Y1's birthday.  He's fourteen...I need to quit blinking so much...time is going like a bullet train.  I think I'll be singing AIAM around 12:44pm...join in, if you like!

Comments

  1. Phooey! It's 1:18 and I missed caroling! Happy birthday, Y1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember...we're on Central time...so you have a bit of a cushion! LOL Thanks for the thought!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment