Home, Again?

So.  We're moving.  Yep.  We're moving back to SMALLtown, Georgia.  Yes, you read that correctly.  No, I'm not joking.  My jokes are funny...this moving business isn't.  We left SMALLtown in 2005 and I never dreamed that we'd return as a permanent part of the landscape.  (BTW, the landscape down there is SORELY lacking in topography...flat, flat, flat, flat!)  We went back a few times...to visit and walk down memory lane...but I never thought we'd go back for good.  I pray it's for good...like until I receive my heavenly promotion!  We thought the migration to Bamaham would be the last before receiving the keys to our "mansion, just over the hilltop," but God had a different plan.  Just about the time you think you have everything under control, you realize you don't and are reminded Who really does!  Ah, yeah, God's got an amazing sense of humor.  And by that, He's going to get a big kick out of watching me re-assimilate (is that a word...or does it just sound like one...kind of like "audiblize"...which is used ALL THE TIME by the sports "journalists"...but it's really NOT a word)to life in a town that is two hours from the nearest Tar-jzay!  I'm not saying that He delights in my difficulties, but I'm quite certain that He smirks and grins and rolls His all seeing eyes when I get bogged down in my "first world" problems!

If I could, I'd move tomorrow!  It's not that I'm looking forward to leaving this part of Dixie.  Nothing could be further from the truth!  The 2008 move to Bamaham was one more difficult task in what proved to be a very difficult year for our family.  I didn't want to come here.  I'd never been here.  There was NO way that there would be anything good here.  Again, He smirked, laughed and shook His Almighty head at His silly, obstinate Yankeebelle child.  I was wrong.  There I said it.  Make note of it.  I was wrong.  The good that's come from our 2008 relocation is overwhelming.  And that's why I want to move tomorrow!  Leaving here is NOT, NOT, NOT going to be easy.  This is a Band-Aid that's better removed by a quick, firm yank...likely to be some hair and skin that come with it, but that's ok.  The healing can't start until that bandage is removed. 

None of us want to move.  It's one of those horrid "have to" situations.  In order for Mr. Snark to move forward in his career, we have to go.  Which is REALLY funny, because the move in 2008 was for the same reasons.  Promises of career development and boundless prospects for the future were promised....and broken as easily as pie crust.  I don't like pie crust promises.  Neither does Mary Poppins.  The only REAL prospect for advancement has been attached to a long term temporary project that has been a bit of a sink hole for company resources...both monetary and human!  Long term, temporary relocation means the family doesn't go...which is FINE by me since it would involve a move to M.I.S.S.I.S.S.I.P.P.I!  So, he'd go without us and come home on the weekends a couple of times each month.  Six months.  Maybe a year?  And what happens when the project is completed?  Could he go back to his office?  Don't know.  So, when you look at it, as painful as the move to SMALLtown is going to be, we will be together and it will be a job for the long haul.  And, if we HAVE TO move, we are grateful to be going to a place that is familiar.  Starting over in a place where we are known and loved is better than starting over in foreign territory.

They say "you can't go home."  I don't know who they are...but I'm sure hoping we can prove them wrong.  We've changed.  We aren't the same as when we left in 2005.  SMALLtown has changed...they have a Chick-Fil-A that opened in July!  It finally happened!  Talk of that restaurant coming to town was a choice topic of conversation when we lived there!  I'm not going back with the expectations that things will be like they were eight years ago because there's no way they could be.  I am, however, hoping that the familiar places and faces will make the landing just a bit softer.

Now...if only there would be a Tar-jzay to open in Dublin or Statesboro!

Comments