Notes from New York, Part 1

I think I've recovered...I'm not sure.  Forgive me...I'm an out of shape, overweight, 42 year old woman...I lead a pretty quiet life.  We have rip snorting moments, but for the most part, the surface of our life's pond is pretty much like glass.  Spend a week trying to keep up with a group of twenty five 14-18 year olds and see how you feel!  Every blister, every bruise, every drop of sweat...totally worth it and I'd do it again...in a New York minute.  (Did you see what I did there?  Like that?) 

My observations:
  • The Birmingham train station is a JOKE!  I've been to McDonald's locations that have more curb appeal.  The waiting room was quickly over run by our group.  To add to the already sketchy ambiance, one of the ceiling lights in the waiting room was flickering...which makes my head hurt to the point of homicidal inclinations.  Thankfully, changing positions and wearing my sunglasses warded off the evil.  I looked ridiculous...but at least no laws were broken.
  • The conductor got it right placing our group at the back of the last car.  From the back of the car...about eighteen rows forward...nothing but us.  Made it less likely that we would aggravate the other passengers.  I didn't say it removed that possibility...just made it less likely.
  • Where the kids sat, didn't mean that's where they stayed.  They were the seat jumpingest (that's a word...don't argue with me)bunch of folks!  Spontaneous shuffling occurred up until midnight and then an orchestrated one was enforced...no boys and girls sitting together at bed time!
  • Eating on the train was a big novelty for most of the kids.  They kept the club car busy....and I think ran them out of mini pizzas.  Not that the pizza was anything special...just that it was pizza on the train and that gave it an exotic air.
  • Speaking of exotic air...the bathrooms on the train...after 22 hours....I'll just leave it there.
  • When traveling to NYC, make sure you include small bills in your travel cash.  This makes it much easier to purchase your subway cards.  Especially when there seems to be only one place to purchase the subway cards and the computer is down...which forces you to use the automated machines (that require exact change and nothing over a $20) because the man inside the booth is waving a sign at you that says "Computers down. Use automated machines."  You'd like to ask the man if there is another place to make this transaction but you can't...he waves the sign at anyone who approaches his booth.
  • Make sure your suitcase is sitting upright as you go down the escalator.  If not, it's liable to shift forward, just as you happen to be praying that it won't, and cause you to fall.  Yep.  That was me.  From behind me the girls are hollering, "Mrs. Michelle!  Don't let it eat your skirt!"  In front of me, is the poor terrified lamb that I've nearly flattened.  In the end, none of the kids were hurt (better me than them), my sweet BayBay didn't have to rip my skirt off to keep it from being pulled into the escalator's endless loop, and I didn't have to explain a massive case of hysterical blindness caused by the viewing of my skirtless backside to any one's parents. 
  • A group as large as ours...all wearing the same highlighter yellow shirts...well, we stuck out. 
  • Dragging that kind of luggage through Penn Station and then through the subway was the PITS!!!!!!!!!!  Thankful our group is full of strong boys and girls who aren't afraid to work.
  • Found a room at our dorm, with an open bunks...unfortunately, they were all upper bunks.  Thankful for my sweet bunk mate who willingly relinquished the bottom bunk for my use.  Her mother has raised her well.  When we got home, I missed seeing her sweet little feet swinging above me.
  • People in Queens, NY love rosebushes.  No yards to really speak of, but so many of them had roses growing in the little corners.  It was pretty.
More to come...just be patient...and speaking of Queens...I'll leave you with this....

Comments

  1. I almost felt like I was on the train with you, you described it so well. Thank goodness it was only in my mind. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment