Locked Out

**BIG thanks to my friend SK for contributing today's subject matter.  What would I do without my FABULOUS friends?!**

I was very happy for today to arrive.  On my schedule was a lunch date with a very sweet friend.  She's one of the football moms and she's, well, fabulous!  She's recently had some pretty serious back surgery, which we are praying will be the cure to some chronic issues she's been having.  She's off work until cleared by the doctor, so with time to burn, ladies go to lunch!

I arrived at our designated spot a bit early, so I sat in the car and made my shopping list.  Eventually I wondered in to use the restroom and get our table.  I sent SK a text to tell her I had a table for us.  11:30am came and went.  I didn't think anything of it because she is moving a bit slower than usual and traffic en route can be trouble some.  11:45...still no word from her.  My sweet and very solicitous waitress kept trying to ply me with an appetizer as I waited...passed on that.  I was really beginning to worry.  My internal doodle pad started to go a little crazy...she had fallen and hurt herself, somehow.  I just knew something wasn't right.  She had an appointment at 2PM, so there was more than just our lunch date at stake.

High noon...one of the restaurant's staff came to me and asked if I was Michelle and was I waiting for SK, because SK's MIL was on the phone needing to speak to me.  My heart DROPPED!  Ok...here's where it starts to get funny.  Apparently, SK had locked herself out of the house and had called her MIL around 10:30am to let her in.  SK's phone, purse, keys...everything was in the house...locked down like Fort Knox.  10:30am-noon...that's 90 minutes.  MIL was of no use to SK because her husband had taken her car for his out of town lunch date.  MIL thought she would be able to drive FIL's truck to SK's house...not so much.  She couldn't find the key.  She looked for an hour and when she gave up, she called the restaurant.  The key to the motor home was located easily enough...but MIL didn't think this was the best time to learn how to operate the motor home.  Wise, don't you think?

When I arrived at SK's house, she was sitting in the chair on her porch.  Thank God there was a chair...can't imagine how she would have limbo-ed down to sit on the low porch!  Sitting on her porch...with one shoe.  Only one shoe because she paused in the midst of getting out the door to let the dogs onto the back deck.  This was her undoing because when she closed the door behind herself, she forgot about the new locks.  The inside knob will turn with the lock engaged.  To be opened from the outside, the lock has to be disengaged.  Never one to keep the front door unlocked while she's home during the day, she hobbled around to the front of the house.  Off all the days she decided to listen to FIL's warnings of leaving the front door unlocked, this happened to be the day.  A painter came by to give her an estimate for work in the dining room and when she showed him out, she locked the door behind him.  Neighbors on either side were not home and no luck with across the street.  A few doors down, the adult son of her VERY Chinese neighbors happened to be home and it was from his phone that she made the first call to MIL.  He left and when SK realized that plenty of time had passed for MIL to arrive, but she hadn't, VERY Chinese neighbor mom happened to pull in and allowed SK to make the second call.  By this time, I was on my way.

Lunch wasn't as drawn out and leisurely as we would have liked, but we made the most of our time...driving to get the key and then back to SK's house.  We did have a quick bite before SK had to make her 2pm appointment...after which, she was going to have spare house keys made!

Comments