Why?

When the alarm went off Friday, the morning show DJ was sharing the news of the Aurora theater shooting.  I lay there, listening to her talk; emotion heavy and unconcealed in her voice and the unanswerable question popped into my head....why? I had to figure out SOME answer because I knew The Younglings would ask...and they did and I'm not sure the answer I had for them was satisfactory.  It doesn't always satisfy my questions of "why", but it's all I had to give....

because we live in a sinful, fallen, imperfect world.

This is the answer to all of the "whys" of life.  Why do some children go to bed hungry?  Why do some children never understand what it is to be truly loved?  Why do some children spend their lives bouncing from one foster care home to another?  Why do some Daddies walk away from their families?  Why do some Mamas walk away from their families?  Why are people homeless?  Why do people steal from each other?  Why is there war?  Why do people lie?  Why do people try to suffocate their hurt with drugs and alcohol?  Why are young girls starving themselves to attain a "perfect body"?  Why are BOYS, as young as fourteen, adding "father" to the list of their accomplishments?  Why do we place more importance and value on being able to put a ball through a net than educating our children?  Why does life have to be so complicated?  Ask just about any question related to the human condition and the answer will be the same...

because we live in a sinful, fallen, imperfect world.

Not everyone will agree with me.  Some will blame our current president.  Some will blame the one who came before him and his father's presidency, too.  Some will blame the shooter's parents.  Some will blame it on lack of gun control.  Some will blame the movie industry.  Some will blame it on the Internet. Some will blame war/shooting themed video games. Even his kindergarten teacher will come under scrutiny.  The only one who might not be blamed is the shooter, himself.  Oh, he did it...can't deny that he did it, but there has to be someone/something else at fault.  

Because we live in a sinful, fallen, imperfect world.

That doesn't make it better.  That doesn't bring back the lives that were lost.  A six year old child was killed...I cannot even begin to imagine the grief this child's parents will carry with them for the rest of their lives.  (What in the WORLD a six year old was doing at the midnight showing of a rated-R movie is BEYOND me and possibly, a blog discussion for a different time.)  This doesn't erase the panic and anxiety that many of the survivors will deal with for goodness knows how long.  Puh-leeeze...I wasn't there and just thinking about going into a theater makes my heart skip a beat!  It doesn't change things.  It might even sound a bit contrived or cavalier, but it's all I have.

Because we live in a sinful, fallen, imperfect world...

time is of the essence.  You absolutely do not know when your story will end.  We all assume that it will be after a long, happy life.  I'm here to tell you...six years is not the stuff of a LONG life.  Six years is like a blink.  Do not take for granted that tomorrow is yours.  Today...all we are promised...all we need to concentrate on...today.  The answer for a sinful, fallen, imperfect world is Jesus.  Not everyone believes as I do.  I've been steeped in my Christian faith all of my life.  I don't know any different.  I really don't know how people get through this kind of tragedy or even just the daily grind of life without it.  I'm not in control.  I like to think I am.  I do a good job of pretending that I am.  I get terribly offended when someone else wants to be in control or when my "authority" is questioned.  But I'm really not and that's a very good thing.  Despite who I am or who I like to think I am, Jesus loves me.  Check that...He also loveD me...emphasis on the past tense.  He took a punishment that was mine...and yours (I know that might offend some of you, but this is my blog.  I speak the truth, as I see it, and if you don't like it, well...you don't have to read it.). 

Because we have a sinless, blameless, perfect Savior...

there is hope.  There is peace.  There is joy (love me some JOY).  There is comfort.  There is strength.  There is grace.  There is mercy.  There is forgiveness.  There is anything and everything you could ever want or need. It's yours for the asking...for the taking.  Why, you might ask?  Of this answer, I am have complete confidence...
because we have a sinless, blameless, perfect Savior.

Comments

  1. Excellent post and very well put, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree...how do people get through tragedies like these without the hope of Jesus? The hope that He will return one day, and all of our sin (just callin' it what it is!) will be gone. Jesus come quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment