Makeover at YOHOS

We've lived in this house since December 2008.  Well, Mr. Snark has lived here since November 2008, but the entire family unit didn't settle in until December.  We came in and put down our bags.  The previous owner had recently painted and such, so there was no need to do any of that.  The colors were/are lovely...soothing, quiet, shades of heavily creamed coffee/tea...maybe even river rock colors...very earthy.  I got the itch to redecorate back in the winter, starting in the kitchen/dining room.   I brought home various paint chips (OK...I LOVE paint chips!  I would love to have a bucket of those little cards and just play with them.  I think color is so interesting...how different color combinations evoke different moods, atmosphere and emotion.) and studied them on the wall.  Some washed out as the morning sun blazed through the windows.  Others were entirely too dark and made the room seem cave like.  Mr. Snark already has his Man Cave...we're not turning the entire house into a cave.  Never could get settled on anything in the brown/green section of S. Williams.  Nothing spoke to me. 

Onto the yellows.  Yellow is a tricky color...some are pale and delicate and barely there.  Some are VERY loud.  Some are more suitable for highlighter pens or safety vests than wall color.  Then there are the warm, buttery, cheery, inviting shades and that's where I landed.  Four or five more cards came home and got taped to the wall and I studied them.  The winner is called Golden Sunbeam.  It's a sunshiney yellow, but there's enough of a milky quality to the color that it won't blind you when the light hits it. 

I went to have the paint mixed earlier in the week and while I was there, I decided that the front hall and the little hallway from our room to the rest of the house needed some color.  Red Paprika was the choice.  The overall theme I'm going for is sort of a Southern-Country French.  What that means is...well, I really don't know what that means.  When I think of it, I think of warm and cheerful...playful, casual but elegant.  A good mix of textures...wrought iron, pottery/crockery, wood, woven baskets.  But no chickens/roosters.  Not a fan of poultry as kitchen art.  When we lived in SMALLtown, GA, I went on a Tour of Homes that was part of the local spring festival.  One of the houses on the tour belonged to one of the local dentists.  Everywhere I turned, there was some sort of sculpted chicken/rooster.  I was seriously afraid of being spurred!  So...no yard bird...unless it's fried and on my dinner plate!

The boyos and I started on our project, yesterday.  Yes, on July 4th.  I know...doesn't seem like a very patriotic way to celebrate the founding of our nation, but I looked at it as having the freedom to chose how I wanted to spend the day.  Just in case you think we're entirely un-American, we did grill out...steaks, in fact.  The boyos were good help but after awhile, it became exceedingly clear that if the job was going to get done before the roll was called Up Yonder, I'd have to go solo.  It was nice chatting with them and spending time with them...but I think they were more than glad to be released from their duties!

 Y2...so handy for taping the low places!

 Y1...so handy for taping the high spots and well, just generally handy to have around!

 Bare bones!

 Learning how to paint...he was surprised that there's an actual RIGHT way of doing it!

 Look right into the dining room/kitchen, straight ahead to the living room.

 All done and redecorated.  I love H. Lobby and H. Goods!

 Do come in!

 Plates from my Granny Wood's china...made by The Harker Pottery Company.

Sweet little bird, new pitcher, basket and wall sconce...the mirror hung in Eric's room when he was a teenager.

Onto the dining room/kitchen!!

Comments

  1. I love adding color to our house, too. I'm taking a break from it this summer, but come fall...look out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment