Sex and Liquid Plumber

I won't be sharing this particular entry on F*cebook and I'm sure the title alone will clue you in as to why.  I have several young friends (under the age of 18)as part of my F*cebook community and feel a great sense of accountability for everything I post.  There's a certain level of appropriate, chaste conversation that I try to uphold with them and this entry is going to probably hit well below the belt (pun intended) and walk way outside of these boundaries.  OK...

Have you seen this commercial?


Seriously?  I was completely unaware that the gunk and goo that contributes to clogged pipes was sexy or in anyway erotic!  Did y'all know that?  Maybe I've been living on the corner of Prude and Provincial for way too long!  I was totally floored the first time I saw the ad and then disgusted, and then outraged, and then just deeply saddened.  I don't guess my shocked reaction needs any explanation.  If you think it does, then I haven't done a good job of explaining who I am and/or my views on the world...or you haven't been paying attention. 

Have you ever beheld the garbage that comes out of a blocked drain?  I have and I'm hear to tell you, there's not a thing in the world that's sexy or provocative about it.  It's just gross!!  Evidently, though, you can add a couple of well placed inuendos and cliches and pipe garbage is now desirable!  Wrong!!! It's disgusting and no amount of '70s guitar funk background music is going to change that.  What it does manage to do is make the act of sex cheap and dirty.  No wonder this next generation is so confused about sex and the place it should hold in our lives!  When you link it with things that have NOTHING to do with it....breakfast cereal, hamburgers, floor wax...things get confusing! 

Does anyone pick up the element of adultery in this commercial?  It's there...I'm guessing that neither of these men are her husband.  Don't go there...don't say, "it's a fantasy...it's harmless" because, it's not!  Exodus 20:14: "Thou shall not commit adultery."  Exodus 20:17:  "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife. There are other verses that talk about what a man (woman) thinks and how that relates to his (her) heart.  King David...a man after God's own heart...he wasn't where he was supposed to be and let his eyes linger too long on a woman who wasn't his wife.  As a sidenote, I have never believed Bathsheba to be completely innocent in this.  Women have powers...we do and we have to be very careful not to abuse them. Read the story.  Bertrayal, murder, deceit, heartbreak...all beause David let his eyes get away from him.  His eyes went roaming...and so did his heart.  Your devotion follows your emotion.

Sex is a gift from God...not a tool for consumerism.  It's really sad what it's become.  Do I think we need to go back to the days when it was kept behind closed doors and undiscussed?  No...absolutely not.  I would, however, like to be able to turn on the TV and not have it flaunted in my face, as a way of marketing salad dressing, sports equipment and hairspray!  This is not part of the design and anytime anything is taken outside of it's original purpose, things get wanky!  And honeychild....the modern view/perspective of sex is WANKY!!!!!  Since what sex ISN'T or SHOULDN'T has been clearly demonstrated, here is what it REALLY is....it is something precious and PRIVATE that is to be shared within the confines of marriage...between a man and a woman who have publicly and legally committed themselves to one another.  It is a moment in time when each is at his/her most vulnerable.  In it's intended form, there's nothing dirty or gross or unseemly about it. It is the physical connection that undergirds the emotional.

Try again, Liquid Plumber...this is an epic fail!

Comments

  1. Yuck! Have you seen the Hardees latest commercial? I've already emailed...I'm sure to deaf ears...but I did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment