Fun Friday...Party of Four

I love a party.....LOVE a party!   Birthday, wedding reception, tailgate, baby shower, anniversary...the moon is blue and the stars are aligned....I just LOVE a party.  Being the Kitchen Goddess that I am, the food is always so interesting to me.  Some people can be counted on to bring the same thing to everything.  Others like to be a bit more creative and that's fun for me.  Waiting for a party to come along is not fun.  As lovely and enjoyable as I perceive my little foursome to be, I realize not everyone feels the same way.  We've moved around enough for me to realize that while folks enjoy hanging with you at church functions or at the ballgames, the migration into the "inner circles" of their social networks might not happen.  And it's really not a judgement about me and mine or you and yours.  Folks get ingrained into routines and habits and the usual way of doing things. 

OK....some of y'all just pulled out your "MANURE" flags....this is a family scene, so I'm going to use "manure" as a synonym!  Some people are just clannish.  They aren't ever going to invite anyone into the mix that they haven't known since childhood.  Some people find me and mine to be obnoxious and opinionated.  It used to bother me (put your flags away...satisfied now?)...a lot!  It still does, from time to time, but not nearly like it used to.  We are who we are, wherever we are.  We do try to temper our eccentricity (which I'm coming to believe is a genetic predisposition for us)around folks who are new...don't want to scare anyone but by and large, what you see is what you get.  I don't like being around people who are phony.  I don't like people who put on fronts or airs.  I don't like dealing with people who create such alter-egos for themselves that the identity they've manufactured is far worse than who they really are!  That's just crazy!  I'm not going to be that way....it's too hard.  So if we are missing out on the party scene because we are "too real"...I'm good with that. 

At some point, I realized that we didn't have to wait for the party to have party food.  Having a finger food supper could become part of what we do as a family...and that's just what it is.  Granted, there are times that I throw finger food into the weekly menu because I'm purely stumped for any other option.  Sometimes I use it when we are short on time because of other activities.  Sometimes, it's for a special occasion.  Sometimes, it's just because.  I've done all sorts of varieties, but my favorite one was around the DVD release of the third "Pirates" movie.  We had "Black Pearl Cannonballs", "Jack Sparrow Wings," "Pirate's Treasure Dip" and "Calypso Coolers."  Translated....meatballs, chicken wings, veggie relish and some sort of fruity, bubbly "punch" that I made.  It was a BLAST!  We had our silly food and watched a fun movie and made a great memory for us that the boys will carry with them.

If you wait for life to come to you, you're going to miss it.  Same goes for a party...if you wait for a "reason"...if you wait to be invited...it will never happen.  Each day is a gift.  Living in close quarters with ones who love you....that's reason enough to celebrate.

Comments