What's Cooking Wednesday....Krab Matter

Yes...I said "Krab" Matter.  I'm not a fan of kitchy misspellings, but in this case, it works. It's not a holiday/celebration around YOHOS...or Mr. Snark's side of the family without Krab Matter.  I suppose a more elegant name would be "Crab Ball", but we call it "Krab Matter."  Read the recipe and you'll find out why the spelling is altered.  Not everyone is a fan...my precious 1L is NOT.  Points for her, though, for trying it and not just deeming it inedible without a taste test.  To 1L's counterpoint, another friend of ours traded deer meat for a round of this.  I think I won out...seriously...think about it.  Going to the store to buy the ingredients and making it....versus sitting out in the elements all day, maybe two days to get the dear?  Uh, yeah...I made out like a bandit!

8 ounces softened cream cheese
1 package imitation crab meat (hence the "k" in "krab")
1 rib of celery, with leaves, finely chopped
3 Tbs. sweet onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs. cooking sherry
2 Tbs. Old Bay seafood seasoning
2 tsp. dill weed
1/2 cup chopped nuts...almonds, pecans or walnuts

Combine cream cheese, krab, celery, onion, sherry and spices.  Work into a ball.  Roll in chopped nuts.  Wrap in plastic cling (This recipe is one of the only reasons that I keep that hateful cling wrap in my kitchen...I despise this stuff!  I fancy the idea that people in Hell will spend their time unwrapping wads of plastic wrap....it is pure torture!) and chill for 2-4 hours before serving.  Great with crackers.

Comments