Tips on Tuesday...Meals on Wheels

We've all been part of the "Supper Squad."  You know...someone in your circle gets sick, has surgery, has a baby, has a death in the immediate family...friends get together to make sure that the family in question does not go hungry.  I'm quite sure this is done all over the country, but I'm telling you, no one does it like Southern ladies!  We wield casserole dishes and salad molds with sniper-like accuracy!  I've been a part of several "Supper Squads", myself, and over the years, I've figure out a few basic rules that might be of interest to you.

  1. ALWAYS ask about food allergies/peculiarities before you start the sign up sheet.  No one wants to deliver a meal that can't be eaten because of allergies, dietary restrictions or won't be eaten because no one in the family likes that particular item.
  2. ALWAYS use the disposable containers.  If that grates against your Suzy Homemaker self, then go buy a "real" container and assure the recipients that they can keep it as part of the meal.  There is nothing worse than trying to return this dish or that bowl to the right person.
  3. ALWAYS ask those preparing the meals to list their offerings.  Spaghetti is a great option...but three different people don't need to bring it.
  4. Instead of meals every night, try a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule.  This leaves the family room for the leftovers to be eaten.
  5. It's nice to include the recipe for what you deliver...on the off chance that they enjoy it so much, they want to make it for themselves.
  6. There's nothing wrong with picking up a deli roasted chicken, salad fixings and bakery rolls from the grossery store and taking that as a meal.  If cooking isn't your thing, but loving on folks is, there are options.
  7. If you're going into this looking for "thank yous" and adulation...just stop.  Don't EVEN bother.  It's not about you...it's about being the hands and feet of Christ.  It's about being love, showing love, giving love...not getting it for yourself.
I always look forward to having the chance to take a meal to friends.  Not that I wish sickness and such upon them...Heavens, no!  I can't do a lot in this world. I can't make the pain, sorrow and meanness go away.  I can't make things right or fair or even.  What I can do, is lighten the load...help bear the burden...one casserole dish at a time.

Comments

  1. Lesson learned last week. I was prepping my meals before Jamie got the go-ahead from his coworkers, and then learned that one family had a tomato allergy (there goes the lasagne). The other family is Jewish...praying they don't eat kosher because I mixed meat and dairy. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment