This and That...Naked Day at School

That title probably just grabbed you by the throat, yes?  Calm yourselves and read on...all will become clear.  If you're STILL not sure, perhaps this will enlighten you even more...this is a Y2 story.  Ah, yes...I see the light of comprehension in your eyes.  

The year is 2007.  My brown eyed little monkey boy is finishing up his preschool year.  We were living in RollingHills, GA.  He was learning SO much and changing so quickly.  We were very pleased with the match he'd made with his class.  He was SO very different from Y1...in looks, in temperament, in personality.  Starkly different.  I knew that Y1 would transition well to school but I wasn't sure about Y2.  We had some struggles along the way, but all in all, he did a fine job and liked it very much.

So...school is out for the day...homework is finished...Y2 is upstairs playing in his room.  Not sure where Y1 was...more than likely he was outside.  I'm fooling around on the computer in the living room.  Y2 calls down to me (one nice thing about a house with cathedral ceilings...sound carries well), in ALL seriousness,
"Mama, do we have Naked Day at school?"
 
Dear readers, I nearly fell OUT of my chair.  Nudity is just something that is a necessity for us...it is necessary to be naked when bathing, when changing clothes.  It is NOT a way of life.  Although, little Y2 LOVED to streak through the house after a bath...and we let him...because it was funny...and all the blinds were closed.  I've never in all my days understood the logic behind nudity as a lifestyle.  Makes NO sense to me and on so many levels, it just grosses me out!!

I turn around and see him peeking his little head over the banister.  Their room was connected to the bathroom and other rooms on the second floor by an open hall way...open to all of the house.  I called it "The Cat Walk."  And yes...as the name implies, I used it to practice my model stomp. (SNORT) I can see a look of sincerity on his face, so I know that I have to answer as calmly as I can...despite holding back the laughter that is bubbling up in my soul! 
"No, I don't believe there is such a thing as Naked Day.  Why do you ask?"

 "Well, they have all these other days...Crazy Sock Day, Apple Day, Pet Day.  I just wondered if they had Naked Day, too."
He wasn't being silly.  He was making a logical jump in his thinking.  Who is this kid?  '
"So, would this Naked Day be just for the students or could the teachers participate, too?"
"Oh, anyone who wanted to and if they didn't, that would be okay."
Very generous of him to spare the adults at his school loads of imaginary humiliation!  Something inside me tells me I need to nip this before it goes from being imaginary to reality!

"No, there is no Naked Day on the school calendar...it's just not a very good idea.  And (insert his first and middle name here), don't let that school call me tell me that you tried to start Naked Day at school?  Do you understand what I am saying to you?  You keep your clothes on...except for when you go to the bathroom and there better not be any funny business there, either!"
"Yes, ma'am...I understand."
And he leaves The Cat Walk and returns to his room.  I stifle my laughter as best as I can when all of the sudden, his little voice comes booming out of his room...like some cheesey stage announcer...

"NNNNNAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD DDDAAAYYYYY AAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT SSSSSSCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!"
No more stifled laughter...it was all out in the open!  And he knew he was funny because I could hear him laughing at himself!

I love this kid!

Comments