Christmas Caroling...Days 1 and 2

Several of my friends posted daily notes of thanksgiving during the month of November.  It was great to read the different thoughts about their gratefulness.  The best ones were the ones that got outside of the "Sunday school" answer box.  So, in that spirit, I'd like to offer daily posts about my favorite Christmas music.  You'll probably know some of them....some might be new to you.  Some you will totally understand...some will leave you shaking your heads and wondering if I've truly gone 'round the bend.  Remember...you needn't worry about that.  Mr. Snark sees me everyday and will be the first to know when it happens and will take care of things accordingly.

These are in no particular order....and since it's December 2, I'll post two songs today.
The name of this song is "Bring the Torch, Janette Isabella."  It's a French carole and it has always just charmed me.  Can't really explain why.  Maybe it's the harmony (ALTOS ROCK!)...maybe it's the lyrics, "Beautiful is the mother...Ah!  Ah!  Beautiful is the child!'  Maybe it's the fact that I've always wished to be in a Madrigal choir.  Maybe it's the oboe and bassoon that you can hear when instrumental accompaniment is used. 

Song #2....
It's called "Labor of Love."  Jill Phillips is singing and it's off of Andrew Peterson's album "Behold the Lamb."  The first time I heard this song was last Christmas.  My friend, Sister SingsThePaintOffTheWalls, presented this as special music one Sunday.  And BOY...is it special!  So many of the songs we sing this time of year talk about the birth of Jesus.  VERY few convey the humanity of that.  Giving birth (be it physically or emotionally...shout out to my friends who are adoptive moms) is not neat and tidy ...it's hard, it's scary, it's messy...and at the same time, it's such a beautiful thing.  The lyrics and melody are simple but convey the human element of Christ's birth so very well. 

Comments

  1. "...the Baby in her womb was the Maker of the moon and the Author of the faith that could move the mountains...!!" Chills, Awe, Michelle...~~ Wow, what beautiful songs!~~ And what a Wonderful idea! :) I agree with you-- "Altos Rock!" (So do Andrew Peterson's songs!! *The "Penny Song!")
    Here's hoping that "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" makes the cut!! :) :) ;)
    Hope you have a Marvelous Friday & weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard Andrew Peterson's music, but Jacob sure loves his books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment