Christmas Caroling....Day 15

Today's selection is a standard...."Jingle Bells."  Well, the song is a standard.  The particular versions that twirl my skirt might not be.  Sister A and I spent some of our growing up years with our maternal grandfolks.  Some of my fondest memories are of Saturday and Sunday afternoons spent watching "old movies" with them...Shirley Temple, Andy Hardy, Abbott and Costello.  Sunday afternoons were my favorite.  Every so often, Granny would have to work on Sunday and when she did, she would always put something in the oven that would be ready when we got home from church.  Sometimes Papa would make an executive decision to turn the roast beast Granny had left cooking WAY LOW.  So low that it would be impossible for it to be done cooking by lunch.  After church, he'd stop at the neighborhood grossery and get the fixings for chili and he'd always buy the in-store bakery's garlic bread.  Just the thought of that bread makes my mouth water!  Chili, garlic bread and old movies.  My favorites were any of them that included The Andrews Sisters.  I thought Maxine, Patty and LaVerne were just IT!  They always looked so polished and smart and how they could sing!!!

The other arrangement of "Jingle Bells" that I adore is just, well....silly.  And that's ok.  Life is hard...it's okay to be silly now and then.  It's NECESSARY to be silly.  I'm a simple girl and it doesn't take much to tickle my funny bone.
Ladies and gentlemen..."Barking Jingle Bells."

Comments