The Name Game

When I was a little girl, I LOVED to sit around and make lists of baby names.  Do not roll your eyes!  There's nothing wrong with that.  I used to make attendance sheets with names on them to be used when I played school.  We used to play "Love Boat" and I made passenger lists and assigned them room numbers and everything.  OK...so playing "Love Boat" didn't really account for much more than greeting the "passengers" as they came aboard (walked up the stairs to Granny's front porch) and then we'd "announce" various activities over the "PA system"...Papa's CB radio that sat on his desk in the living room.  It wasn't turned on, of course. He had a REALLY cool microphone...one of those super shiny lollypop deals with an eagle engraved on the head.  *Happy sigh!*  Where was I??  Oh, right...names! 
I would check baby naming books out from the library.  I'd spend my allowance to buy them.  Always raised eyebrows at the bookstore until I explained that I was just interested in name origins. 

The rules for naming children are fairly simple.  No, there aren't ACTUAL rules for naming a child, but there should be.  First and middle names should work well together.  That means that when used in conjunction, the two names should roll easily off the tongue.  When spoken in the appropriate tone of voice, the use of the first-middle combo is a time honored and effective tool for getting the attention of a wayward child.  Sometimes that's all it takes, however, there are other times when all three names are necessary.  There can be no stuttering or spitting.  The spelling of a child's name is not the appropriate time for the parents to get creative.  names should be spelled along with convention or according to standard variations.  "Jyrymy" is NOT an acceptable variation for Jeremy.  Seriously....it's not.  The poor kid will spend the rest of his life correcting people.  Super trendy names should be avoided at all costs.  In about forty years, we're going to have a generation of grannies named Brittany, Nikki and Destiny.  Something about Destiny just doesn't say "grandmother" to me.  Family trees, the Bible, historical figures, literary characters...all good places to go name mining, but you still have to be careful.

Mama Duggar is pregnant with her twentieth child.  Yes.  You read that correctly....number twenty is on the way.  Her sixteenth pregnancy...she has two sets of twins.  Ten boys and nine girls ranging in age from early 20's down to nearly two.  And all of them have names that begin with the letter "j."  I've been wondering just what she and her "wonderful husband Jim Bob" would name Baby Makes 20.  When they were expecting #19, I guessed that they might go with Josie...and I was right!  Too bad there was no prize attached to that.  The options have been narrowed and decidedly so, I'd say.  So....what do you think would be a good name for #20...boy/girl?  To enlighten you, here's what's been taken and they don't seem to shy away from similar sounds or even outright repetition.
  1. Joshua James
  2. Jana Marie and her twin
  3. John-David
  4. Jill Michelle
  5. Jessa Lauren
  6. Jinger Nicole
  7. Joseph Garrett
  8. Josiah Matthew
  9. Joy-Anna
  10. Jedidiah Robert and his twin
  11. Jeremiah Robert
  12. Jason Michael
  13. James Andrew
  14. Justin Samuel
  15. Jackson Levi
  16. Johannah Faith
  17. Jennifer Danielle
  18. Jordyn-Grace Mikaya (still only counts as one child)
  19. Josie Brooklyn
Here's my lists....yes... I made I list.  I like names.  My life is simple.  Let it go.  For a girl:  Julia, Juliette, Jolie, Jayma, Janine, Jeannie, Jada, Jerilyn, Jerusha, Jacinda, Jacey, Jacqueline, Jemma, Jenna, Jeana.  For the boys:  Jacob, Jefferson, Jeffrey, Jody, Jonah, Jubal, Jay, Jared, Jensen. 

I have many, many questions and thoughts about having so many children.  There are many pros and many cons...but one of the sillier pros would be that you get to use all of your favorite names!

Comments

  1. I can't believe they don't have a "Jacob" yet. And, of course, I think Jenna is just beautiful! I certainly couldn't imagine having 20 children, but they do such a great job teaching them to love and obey. I think our world would be so much better off with more families like this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment