The Complaint Department

Try this one on for size.

"Do all things without grumbling or complaining."  Philippians 2:14

We're friends, so let's not even bother with pretense.  Where does that land?  Does it hit you slap between your eyes?  Does it shoot right to your heart?  Does it cut to the quick?  If not, try it this way:

"Do all things, (insert your name here),  without grumbling or complaining."  Philippians 2:14

Now....what do you think?  Makes a big difference when you attach your identity to it, doesn't it?  Makes it personal.  The tone changes a bit, don't you think?  It becomes more of a command, direct instruction...an imperative....less of a suggestion.  

We complain about the weather, politicians, the economy, the government, our schools, the teachers, health insurance and the banks.  We complain about our homes, our clothes, our jobs, our cars and our bosses.  We complain about our neighbors, our friends, strangers in the grossery store and we even complain about our children.  We complain about what's on TV...what ISN'T on TV, the music on the radio, commercials and the headlines of the newspapers.  We complain about the next generation...how they dress (or rather, how they DON'T dress), walk, talk, the music they listen to, their lack of respect.  And...AND...we complain about church.  Color of the carpet...the color of the walls.  We complain about the changes in the hymnal and the use of modern technology in our worship services.  We complain about being asked to stand when we sing, when the preacher reads the sermon text, when we pray.  We complain if the sermon is too short and do the same if we are five minutes late getting out of the sanctuary.  We complain if the preacher broaches the subject of tithing from the pulpit and will gripe when the budget goes into the red because people aren't tithing.  The sanctuary's too cold...and then it's too hot.  We complain about not being moved during the service and complain about those who have been moved expressing their worship.

What, may I ask, does any of this complaining change??  By and large...NOTHING!  It changes nothing.  It doesn't add anything to our lives or the lives of those around us.  If anything, it takes away from it.  By always dwelling in the complain department, we make it impossible to see/experience any of the joy that this life has to offer.  Life is HARD....can I get a witness?  So much of what happens in life is beyond our control.  On the other hand, a fair amount of what happens in life is all due to the choices we make.  If things go awry because of hasty, poor planned and impulsive decisions...we have no one to blame but ourselves.  Instead of wasting time complaining, we should endeavor to learn from our mistakes and avoid their repetition.  As always, when I say "we," I include myself...and just put me at the front of the line.  I whine.  I gripe.  I moan.  I groan.  I kvetch.   Yes...that's a word...a Yiddish word...look it up!  Do I have any REAL reason to complain...noooooooooooooo!  Doesn't stop me, I am shamed to admit.  The world creeps in and changes my perspective.  Instead of salt and light...I'm more like chalk and have the countenance of drizzle.  I get focused on what's temporary instead of what moth and rust cannot destroy.  We rob ourselves of the life more abundant and settle for a what is a mere shadow...and one of poor quality, at that!

Satan can only steal our joy, if we give it away...if we mistakenly believe that it is dependant upon our circumstances.  The more you..the more I...complain, the more joy we...I...give away.  So what do you say....all for closing the complaint department...say "amen."  AMEN!!!

Comments