Time and Tin Foil Tiaras

It's going to be one of those weeks.  EVERYTHING is trying to happen this week and on paper, it looks like there are a couple of days that are vying for the title of "Busiest Day In the History of Mother-kind!"  I am quite sure, at some point, I am going to meet myself as I round any given corner...isn't that ridiculous.  Time management isn't one of my strong suits.  My idea of managing time is managing to cram as much Facebook time into one day as humanly possible and then about an hour before everyone starts coming in the door, seeing how much I can manage to get done...to make it look like I ACTUALLY accomplished anything for the day!  That's a joke...well, there is a shade of truth to it.  What's that?  Well!  Fine...there's a whole Crayola box of truth to that.  As much as it sounds like I'm kvetching (A Yiddish word for complaining...but it sounds funnier that "complaining", don't you think?)about the week, in all of the busy-ness, there are some things that have me excited.
  • Today is a tea party with a friend of mine.  She's pregnant with Blessing #3...#1 and #2 are girls, under the age of 3!  Being the only girl in my house, this kind of stuff just tickles me (PINK, of course...pay attention!) to no end!  This little visit was supposed to happen last week, but we had to reschedule and that's okay....it gave me time to make my tiara.  Yes, that's right...a tiara.  Sometimes, a girl...and there is NO age limit...just need to wear her tiara.  Mine just happens to be out of aluminum foil.  Not having any daughters, there aren't any just lying around here that I could borrow and for a moment, I was flummoxed about finding one.  Then, a very sweet friend from high school suggested the foil.  You know that I'm just "tetched" (translation=slightly off, not right) enough to have LOVED that idea.  When I mentioned this to my tea party friend, she issued a dare of sorts.  She mildly threatened to bar me from entering her house unless I had foil on my head when I showed up at the door.  Again...I'm just "tetched" enough to call her bluff.  Sunday night, after all the Valentine hulla-balloo at church, I made my little crown.  Foil is not as easy to work with as you might think.  It only has so much pliability before it starts to become limp and useless.  At some point in the sculpting, I showed it to Mr. Snark and he sort of smiled...that smile that lets me know I am coming very close to the woods that lead straight into Crazytown.  Anywhoo...the tiara is made and I intend on wearing it on my drive to my friend's house.  All the way up the 280 corridor into Fancyland...trust me, it won't be the weirdest thing to be seen on 280!
  • Another friend starts chemo today.  I know...sounds odd that I'd be looking forward to that.  I'm not...in fact, if I could take it for her and it would still make her well, I would.  But I'm looking forward to her being able to move onto the next step in her butt-kicking (and we ARE going to kick butt) battle with cancer.  There have been some minor set backs and things have not gone along the time table that any of us planned....like we're in control of things and all!  I FINALLY get to take supper to her family and that gladdens my heart.  I haven't been able to participate in any of the other meal rotations because of this, that, the other, Manny, Moe and Jack.  There's a lot in this world that I can't do...but (and you'll just pardon the shameless bragging)I have SKILLZ (like that...I'm so 'hood!)in the kitchen!
  • I'm helping to plan a wedding reception for a friend/fellow volunteer from the Baptist Ministry Center.  He's a great guy...probably my dad's age...lots of fun.  He's getting married this weekend in Kentucky and the reception is next weekend.  I heard him talking about the reception with another volunteer about the reception and my ears went on point.  Seriously, I think I did a very accurate impression of a bird dog!  I rounded the corner and said, "Did someone say 'wedding reception'?  I'm in!"  They seemed to be impressed that I heard their conversation over the noise of activity in the food pantry.  I'm a party planner...that's what I do.  We got silly, talking about the menu....looking at what items we have in the food bank....the menu started taking shape with things like saltine crackers, Vienna (Which, by the way, here in WayDownSouth is pronounced vie-eena or vie-eeny)sausages, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter and a couple of 10# cans of sliced black olives.  HA!  We probably won't use any of that...ok...maybe the saltines...but that's it!
  • I've started tutoring a new friend on Thursdays.  She and her family are adopting a couple of children from Uganda and one of them is deaf. I've been teaching her how to sign.   Now, when I got that M.S. in Deaf Ed 15 years ago (Crymanittly...it's been 15 years...Geritol, Geritol!), I never expected that it would come in handy in such a fashion.  Our boys met at school last year and I have just really come to love our time together.  These children that she's never met are her babies as much as the two that she actually birthed from her body.  These two little chocolaty angels (and they are...their skin is that beautiful, velvety brown)are going to be birthed from her heart and in some ways, I think that might actually be more painful.  There is so much that is unknown about their situation and so much that is out of my friend's control.  I think our tutoring sessions have become more than just me teaching her to sign so she can teach her new daughter...I think she's teaching me how to love.  Her heart is so full of love, it just pours out and I have the great pleasure of just drinking it up!  We laugh and talk, like girls do...throw a little PINK into the air...it's become a favorite part of my week.
  •  I have a hair appointment on Thursday.  My female readers, who keep regular appointments at the salon, will understand.  I LOVE my time with Mrs. Judy.  My favorite part is her washing my hair.  Seriously....I would PAY her to just wash my hair.  I'd dry it, style it....shoot, I'd even cut it myself, just to have that time with her washing it.  I have nearly fallen asleep while she massages my head.  It's.just.that.good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Thursday night is the Patriotic Program at Y2's school.  He's part of the Bluebird Chorus (how precious is that!) and they've been working on this for several weeks.  He has a little solo...a Marine cadence call of sorts.  I have to giggle because I've heard some of those cadence "songs" and they REALLY aren't the kind you want to hear out of a grown person's mouth...let alone a 9 year old's!  Pick up your jaws, I'm sure that our music teacher has kept everything above board...that's just my mental image based on what info I can pry out of Y2. 
There's more!  Would you like me to tell you???  I would, but I'm out of time...I have to go the grossery store.  And yes, I said "grossery" store.  Because it is gross...not the store...but how often I have to go...of course, there are lots of corners in the store...I'll be sure to look for myself around each one!  Wonder if an aluminum foil tiara is too much for Publix.....

Comments