REALLY keeping it real

This is my second attempt at a blog. I had one for awhile and some of you read it, but I was conflicted about the direction it was taking. I had originally meant for the blog to be a way for friends/family to keep up with us but it began to feel forced and heavy and that's why I took it down. I miss writing, so I'm going to try again and this time, I'm going to try to keep it real...look at me...I'm so hip!

Keep it real....if I had a dollar every time I heard that phrase! But what does it mean? Do people understand what it means? According to my handy-dandy Funk&Wagnalls, the definition of real is as follows: "1. Having existence or actuality as a thing or state; not imaginary. 2. Not artificial or counterfeit; genuine. 3. Representing the true or actual, as opposed to the apparent or ostensible. 4. Unaffected; unpretentious." WOW! Did that just slam you between the brows? Take a minute and consider some of the things that you know to be real, genuine and true....then think about those that aren't (even though some of them claim to be).

My REAL list.....
  • Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven.
  • God's infinite grace...I'm just here to tell you that if it weren't real (and abundant), I'd not be here typing and you wouldn't be here reading!
  • The love of my husband (heretofore known as Mr. Snark...more about him and the Younglings later)...we're coming on 19 years of marriage, have known each other since 1987 and he's seen the REAL me and he's STILL here!
  • My love for the Younglings....mess with them unjustly and you will found out just how REAL it is
  • Chocolate...is REALLY good!
  • 80's rock-n-roll
  • My extended family...we're all over the place geographically, politically, emotionally. The stuff that happens to us is sometimes stranger than anything that the best fiction writer could manufacture!
  • Being a parent...honey, it doesn't get any more REAL than this! For 13 years, Mr. Snark and I have been pouring so much of our life energy into the Younglings, hoping and praying that they will become men of character and be productive members of society. We get glimpses, now and then, that we are heading in the right direction but there are days that I wonder if it has all been in vain! Parenting is many things....joyous, heart breaking, heart wrenching, time consuming, intense, rewarding, exhausting, beautiful, confusing, perplexing, worthwhile, bank breaking, hilarious...one thing it's not...is easy. I'm not here to be a friend to the Younglings...I'm here to be their mother.
  • My love for the University of Tennessee...proud graduate of 1995 (BS) and 1996(MS)...do you know how hard it is to wear Big Orange deep in the heart of Bama-ham?
  • The need for modesty...please...I don't want to read words written across your backside or bust line. I don't want to see your rear end peeking (and sometimes glaring)at me from under the short-shorts you insist on wearing in public places. I don't want to see your tattoos over the top of your jeans that are CLEARLY deficient in waist yardage...the Younglings are observant...I'm tired of them asking me what the rest of the picture might be!
Now....here are some things that I am certain are ANYTHING but real/true/genuine:
  • Any of those *ahem* ladies who are a part of any of the Real Housewives of (insert your favorite location here)! Admittedly, I have caught a few glimpses of the New Jersey rendition and find something charming and almost genuine about family matriarch Caroline, but not completely sold. My "favorite" are the *ahem* ladies from Atlanta. I'm fairly certain that they've all been anatomically altered. Despite what they'd have you believe, not all Southern women walk around in 6-inch stilettos, wearing cocktail dresses at 10am, while schlepping through the shee-shee boutiques with our married boyfriend's credit card! Seriously...who does that? I don't and neither do any of the other women I know. None of these *ahem* ladies have what sounds like a natural Georgia accent and how is one considered to be a houseWIFE when there is no HUSBAND in the picture? To be a wife there must be a husband, yes?
  • REALity tv
  • George Hamilton's skin color
  • The necessity of a spray tan....STEP AWAY FROM THE BOOTH...that shade of orange is NOWHERE near normal for human skin tone!
  • Miley Cyrus...yes, she is an actual person...but her contribution to society is less than genuine. Think about it...what kind of person, who is known to be the "idol" for preteen/teen age girls everywhere, makes the conscious choice to take a spin on a stripper pole ON NATIONAL TELEVISION?! And if that's not bad enough, this same person is clueless and left speechless by the backlash and THEN....her father finds it necessary to defend his daughter's choice...says he sees nothing wrong with it. Heads up, Billy Ray, if you TRULY thought there was nothing wrong with it, you wouldn't have felt the need to defend it. Did you TRULY want to see that? Did you TRULY want your friends to see that?
Both lists are endless, but that's enough for now. I REALLY need to start dinner so I can REALLY say that I made a REAL contribution to my family's life today.

Comments

Post a Comment