Pint Sized Patriots

Last night, the family attended a patriotic themed program at Y2's school.  The entire 3rd grade population at OurLocalSchool had been working on this since right after Christmas break.  The Thanksgiving program that he did in 2nd Grade was impressive and well done.  It was very...brace yourself...God-centric!  I know, shocking isn't it?  A public elementary school program that mentions God!  Thrilled me so, I nearly got my church on right there in the cafeteria!  Luke is also in the special 3rd grade only choir at school...The Bluebirds.  There are few sacred cows around here, so The Bluebirds quickly became The Birdbrains.  The Birdbrains' Christmas program was equally as impressive, so I knew that with 1/2 of the 3rd grade performing in one show (the other 1/2 did the second performance), we were in for a treat....we were NOT disappointed.

I was really surprised to read the program and see just how MUCH was in the program.  SEVERAL songs and many speaking parts.  We sang the quickest version of the National Anthem...which is okay by me because some of those notes are high and best if they are swiftly visited and swiftly left.  And as a note....the soloist who was leading us, managed to remember ALL the words.  A 3rd grader....from there, draw your own conclusions.  We heard a rap about the Bill of Rights that was really funny!  The entire choir recited the Preamble to the Constitution...3rd graders...how many adults can do this?  Mr. Snark was so proud!  There was a song that gave a roll call of the states.  Y2 was just beaming...and that impish gleam was sparking in his smile.  His teacher had given him the sign for Tennessee (wonder why...maybe all that BIG ORANGE the he regularly wears) and being that he was on the back row of the risers, and one of the taller choir members, when it came time to put his sign in the air, it was easily visible!  Visible and waving back and forth...like he was saying, "nanny-nanny-boo-boo!"  And in his mind, he probably was!

There were recitations about the American Flag, the Bald Eagle, the President (the office, not the person), quotes by famous Americans, a song about America being a melting pot which was precious.  We even had a portrayal of Lady Liberty and a trio of Yankee Doodle dancers that would have made James Cagney proud.  Y2's demeanor changed during the Yankee Doodle number.  He tried out for one of those spots and didn't get it...he was not pleased to be cut, and you could see it on his face.  To his credit, as soon as the offending trio was out of sight, he turned his gameface back on and was ready for the next number.

At the beginning of the program, they asked all current member of the military and veterans to stand and be recognized and were then told that they would also be recognized at another point in the program.  Y2 was part of that section and let me tell you, I thought my heart was going to bust slap (translation=completely, totally)open!  There were five students at the center of the stage...each wearing a hat or some prop to represent each branch of the military.  To start this little salute, "Taps" was played.  That first note hit the speakers and Y2's little coconut (translation=noggin)snapped down and he whipped his hat off his head.  It was almost more than Mr. Snark's heart could handle and when he gets overcome like that, I'm sure to be got off with (translation=emotionally undone, to' up from the flo' up)!  We should have stood up, because that's what you do at "Taps"...but neither of us could...the emotion of it was so overwhelming.  Tears still on our cheeks, the kids launch into their salute.  SOOOOOO darling!  The went through the Coast Guard, Army, Air Force, Navy (woohoo!) and then to the Marines.  Y2 actually had on a Navy Chief's hat, but you got the idea.  He stepped right up to that mike and growled out (sounded JUST like a drill sergeant) "STEP IN TIME MARINES!  STEP IN TIME MARINES!"  There was more to his solo and he did a really good job...CRACKED me up.  I'm sure the people sitting around me wished they'd sat elsewhere.  And here's what I have to say to them....that's MY kid up there...MY kid...and I intend on cheering him on...DEAL WITH IT!  If I don't cheer for my kids...how ever loud or quiet (yeah, right!)I might be, who will?????  They aren't looking to anyone else to see if they're doing a good job...they're looking to me and their daddy and at the end of their lives, they will know that we were always their biggest fans.

I wish I had pictures, but it's very difficult to get good pictures in the cafeteria...the lighting is bad and the pictures always turn out so fuzzy and blurry.  I'm glad that I got a few got shots of the Christmas program because this is the last program our current music teacher will do.  She's retiring at the end of the year.  She's a wonderful teacher and has been a great friend to Y2.  It is obvious that she loves her work and she loves these children.  I doubt that any of them will ever forget this program...or the other ones that she's done with them.  Watching them celebrate what was and IS still good about this country made me so thankful.  I'll take this over a play about the food groups any day!

Comments