Days 87 & 91

November 13, 2018

As I am writing this, Day 87 is drawing to a close.  We rolled into town August 3rd.  The hospital count is 87.  87 days since MILove’s stem cell transplant.  That doesn’t include the week of chemo leading up to transplant or the week we spent getting settled prior to chemo.  So really, Day 101 is drawing to a close.  Now, that just makes a girl stop and take a big breath and exhale.   Friday, the hospital count is 91.  91 of 100.  That is how long Vanderbilt’s stem cell short term treatment program lasts.  100 days post transplant.  Friday is also the day THAT WE ARE GOING HOME!  Nine days early, if anyone is counting.  (You KNOW I am!) Partially because Thanksgiving falls during the last of the 100 days...partially because my patient has done so well...mostly because God is SO VERY, VERY good.  Every getaway needs a great song.  I tried to come up with a clever rewrite of a great getaway song.  I came the closest with “In An SUV From Georgia” to the tune of “Midnight Train to Georgia.”  But the rewrite didn’t get much beyond the title.  Why?  Well, I’m tired.  I am 101 days tired.  Don’t take it personally.  This is a wearisome situation.  For me, for her, for my fellows, for our extended family. This place isn't home for either of us.  Being away from home exacerbates the weariness.  

Despite the weariness, there are joys to be counted. MILove received care during this short term process that is like none I have ever seen. Granted, my experience with critical illness is limited...may God be eternally praised! Vanderbilt leads the nation in survival rates post stem cell transplant. They do 300 of these every year...at least. As difficult as it was being away from home, this was where she needed to be and as hard as it has been, others have had it harder.


Then there are people like Nurse Andria. She was the only nurse I got a picture of and I felt silly asking for it. They have far more important things to do than posing for pictures, right? Andria and the other nurses in the OTU and up on 10T3 are my heroes! They've become as dear to me as family. "Thank you" falls short but it is all I have to say for everything they did for MILove.

We found a temporary church home and a church family who prayed for us. I grew up in church. Being without a local, accessible church family is unnerving for me. I have this genetic predisposition for calling the preacher when trouble comes calling. It's true! God sent us Woodmont Baptist Church, under the leadership of Bro. Nathan Parker. We only attended a handful of times, but felt so blessed and encouraged by our faith siblings at Woodmont.



November 16, 2018

DAY 91!
Dear Vanderbilt and Nashville...as good as you've been to us, WE ARE OUTTA HERE!!!! It's a good thing that MILove got wise and sent home boxes with friends who came through to visit...and that I sent one of my suitcases and three boxes home with Mr. Snark. While I didn't want to strap things to the roof, I dang sure would have. Do you hear what I'm saying??


Waiting for the pharmacy to complete the 3145 steps required to fill a prescription. Would you be surprised if I told you that I almost jumped the pharmacy counter and offered to fill it my own self?


One for the road. When I'm really happy, my eyes disappear when I smile. No eyeballs to be seen on my face! About twenty minutes later, a jubilant "WHOOT!" rang out from an SUV with Georgia plates as it barreled down I-40E!


The good lady in her chair...sorting mail. And eagerly anticipating the first night in her bed in 105 days.

(Yep....this is late.  And old news.  After being away from home and all that home encompasses, I just got lost in everything else.  Forgive me.  Enjoy.  And do pardon the formatting issues.  I typed it in a different program and it is not making the transition nicely.)

Comments