I Heart The Mitten, Volume 1

Yes...that's a strange title.  Mittens are absolutely wonderful.  If you're trying to bundle up the five years and under crowd, mittens are much better than gloves.  Look beyond the obvious, if you would.  The "mitten" I'm talking about is my home state of Michigan...the lower peninsula is shaped like a mitten.  Never noticed that?  You would not be the first and you won't be the last.  My recent trip to Mama's has me a bit homesick.  I've spent the last twenty-three years in various parts of "The South" and consider myself very much a Southerner.  There is a little part of my heart, however, that will always belong to Michigan.  For instance, when people ask what part of Michigan I'm from, I automatically hold up my right hand, palm facing those inquiring, and show them...just below where my thumb joins my hand.  I don't know what folks from the Upper Peninsula (Also known as "The U.P." and the people who are from there/live there are "Yoopers") do...I can't make that shape with my hand.  So, to alleviate (or quite possibly intensify) my homesickness, I thought I'd spend the next few posts talking about Michigan.  The upside to this virtual tour is that you don't have to worry about the weather! 

Michigan was the twenty-sixth state admitted to the Union.  It became a state on January 26, 1837.  (The sesquicentennial was in 1987...that's a fancy way of saying 150 years!  I remember that because there were special t-shirts and all the hullaballoo that goes with special t-shirts.)
 
The first European settlers were from France and a settlement was established at Sault Ste. Marie in 1668 by Father Jacques Marquette.  That first word is pronounced "soo."  It means "rapids."  Sault Ste. Marie is the oldest city from the Alleghenies to the Rockies.
 
Michigan's native people were from the Algonquin, Ottawa and Potawatomie nations.
 
England, France and Spain have all flown their flags on Michigan's shores.  Talk about a full dance card!
 
Some people call it "The Great Lakes State."  An easy way to remember the names of all five Great Lakes is HOMES...Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie and Superior.  I grew up on the east side of the state, on the shores of Lake Huron.  Ontario is the one that Michigan does not border.
 
Image result for wolverine animalOther people refer to Michigan as "The Wolverine State."  This kind of wolverine...which sadly is no longer found in Michigan.




 
Image result for michigan wolverines 
Not this kind of Wolverine...there are plenty of U of M alum, fans and athletes still in existence.  Which, for folks in East Lansing, must be irritating since East Lansing is home to Michigan State University and the Spartans.  (Was really hoping they could beat on 'Bama...sadly, no.)  Perhaps irritating on two counts...your home state having the nickname of your in state arch rivals and the fact that there are so many of them!  (Great bowl win over Florida, by the way...HAIL!)
 
Image result for hugh jackman wolverine
Not the Hugh Jackman kind, either.  I like the Hugh Jackman kind!  But enough about wolverines and Wolverines, right?
 
 






Image result for robinThe state capitol is Lansing and the state bird is the robin.  It's cause for celebration when the robins return home from their winter migration.  That means the biggest part of winter is OVER.  I remember my first winter in Tennessee.  February, in Knoxville, is LONG and gray.  I nearly cried with joy when I saw a robin....and then I realized some of them do their "wintering" in east Tennessee.  They still make me happy on a dreary, winter day.



Image result for apple blossomThe state flower is the apple blossom.  Michigan has LOTS of apple orchards...so, in the spring, there are LOTS of apple blossoms. 






 
Image result for michigan state tree eastern white pineThe state tree is the Eastern White Pine.











That's just a beginning...which is a very good place to start.  Thanks to the good folks at 50states.com and Wikipedia for help with some of the details.  I remembered some from my early social studies classes....but I've taken a few naps since then.  In our next installment, we'll look at just what is SO special about those Great Lakes.  Aren't you excited????


 
  

Comments