EIGHTEEN

Every time I look at you, it overwhelms me to realize how many dreams your very existence changed to reality.  Being a mama was something I always wanted...always knew would happen, but the depth of it was something incomprehensible until you came along.  As much as I might have taught you over these last eighteen years, I've been learning....from you.

It happened to fast...this growing up you've done.  To you, it probably seems like for-ev-er, but dearest Firstborn, it has passed in just a few blinks.  Realizing just how quickly the time has passed makes me wonder if we savored the moments?  I will confess, there were moments that I wished away...because of the heartache and difficulty.  Part of me would gladly go back and redeem those rough patches.  Some moments were so filled with joy, it was hard to take it all in.  A rewind button would be awesome.

God's plan for your life and his purposes are perfect.  Don't ever doubt that.  You have weighty decisions to make.  Ask him.  Listen to him.  Trust him.  A life lived in the center of his will is a beautiful thing.  Living in the center of his will does not render you immune from the trials and hardships of life.  It just makes them somehow easier to bear.

Happiness is not a product of your circumstances.  Granted, it's easier to be happy when things are going along smoothly...when you see rainbows and lollipops everywhere you look.  When tornado skies and black jelly beans prevail, you have to dig a little deeper.  The joy of the Lord...that's the source of your happiness.  And that supply is bottomless.

Take time to tell the ones around you that you love them...that you appreciate them...that you are thankful for them.  It's a little thing, but it's important.  Start now...it's a good habit to have.

Each day is a gift.  I think you have a keen understanding that life is precious and in the blink of an eye, a life can end.  Your ability to fully grasp that will be at odds with your youth, as it should be.  Be intentional about counting the blessings of each day...look for the things that often go unnoticed.

Eat your veggies.  Brush your teeth.  Don't stay up too late.  Don't drink too much soda.  Put your laundry away.  Say your prayers.  Be sweet.  Show off that EXPENSIVE smile.  Give a firm handshake.  (I'm your mom...therefore, I nag.)

Never forget that I love you...and that I'm proud of you!  Being your mama is one of my life's greatest joys.  I am so excited to see where God takes you.  I just hope it's not too far away...and if it is, that you have a nice room for me.

Happy birthday, Y1...happy birthday!

Comments

  1. Michelle, that is the best tribute to a first born. Sure hope John Henry appreciates them and knows how much you love him. You always write such nice chronicles! Love you, Eric and the boyos!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, that is the best tribute to a first born. Sure hope John Henry appreciates them and knows how much you love him. You always write such nice chronicles! Love you, Eric and the boyos!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment