Scenes Frome Gate D12

My penchant for people watching is established.  We can probably agree that it borders on an obsession, but I've never been caught peeping into my neighbors' windows.  THAT'S not observant...that's just creepy!  Some of my favorite people watching locales include Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN and the mall.  Making the top of the list is probably the airport...an international airport, if we're aiming for the bull's eye.  It's like a visual candy store!!  In fact, there's just SO much to see, it can be slightly overwhelming.  But what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, yes?  Despite all of the whackadoo restrictions, flying is still so much fun.  Current protocol suggests that passengers arrive at the airport about two hours ahead of their departure time.  This allows time for check-in, security lines, finding the right gate and, OF COURSE, people watching.  You can thank my recent outbound flight from Atlanta for this post.


  • People who don't listen...i.e. a fellow traveler on the Concourse train.  When the train's automated narrator says, "Please hold on as the train moves forward," this is instruction....not suggestion.  Too bad he didn't listen....he, who belongs to the elbow that slammed into the left side of my face at the jaw joint!  Thankfully, it didn't bruise or anything.  Mr. Wild Elbow did apologize, but he seemed surprised by the whole event.  That makes two of us, pal!
  • Hunky soldiers in their cammoflauge.
  • Women wearing jeans that were more holey than whole.
  • A pigeon who played "Chicken" with me as I wheeled my bag into the airport.  I wasn't changing my path.  Take that, pigeon!
  • I stepped into the Ladies' Room and while inside, a voice called out, "Michelle?!"  I almost answered...thankfully, her Michelle did before I could.
  • Girls wearing shorts and boots.  I don't get it.
  • Delta gate attendant singing worship songs as he waited to report for duty.
  • (Advance apologies to my gentlemen readers.)  Women without bras, who NEED to wear bras. I could go on at length on this subject...but I'll just leave it there.
  • Teenaged girl sniffing her thumbnail.  She had just been sitting there and all of the sudden, she took notice of her thumb and started sniffing at the nail.  Thumbnails don't smell.  Well, unless they do...so wisely noted by my Ph.D. cousin.  EW!
  • BIG haaaarrrr.  It's like hair.  But bigger.
  • BIG heels....often seen on the feet of girls with BIG haaaaaarrrr.
  • Wanna be "Guccis."  You know the type.:  over tanned, teeth over whitened, excessive hair product, lots of metallic accessories.
  • Wanna be "KarTRASHians."  Please, don't make me describe them!
  • Young businessman, who forgot to engage his "cone of silence" as he wheeled and dealed.  If not the "cone of silence" a chair not adjacent to mine would have been great!
  • Oh, the tattoos!  Lots of candidates for that "Tattoo Disaster" show.
  • People sitting AT the gate, acting all frantic like they are going to miss the flight.  DUDE, you're right here and the jet way is like five feet from you!  Chill, Winston!
  • Dopplegangers galore!
  • Fellow passengers looking at the two empty seats beside me and wondering if they should ask the steward if they could move.  Me silently assuring them that no good could come of the asking.
  • The odd sawing sound that our plane made.  Not a drill sound...not a chainsaw sound....like a hand saw....I never asked what it was.  Made me think of a magician sawing his assistant in half.  Not really a comforting thought at 30,000 feet.
  • Our flight's "announcer" had a Spanish accent that was SO thick and SO exaggerated that it was almost unintelligible.  Made me think of the SNL skit, starring Jimmy Smits, that poked fun at such things.

Comments