Fried Green Tomatoes

There are so many of my kitchen concoctions that I would love to share with you.  I think about that a lot.  Trouble is, it is hard to be the chef AND the photographer at the same time.  And while I have three suitable photographers in the house, I'm a little territorial about people being in my kitchen whilst I'm cooking.  So, you understand my "problem."  The struggle is real...ish.

All circuits were firing and in top form the last time I made fried green tomatoes and it just happens to be one of the recipes I've wanted to share with you.


The players....green tomatoes (obviously), eggs, lemon pepper, season salt, bread crumbs, cornmeal, canola (or veggie) oil.
 
 


Slice the tomatoes somewhere between thick and thin.  Too thin and they burn...too thick and it's just sort of odd.  Lay them on a cookie tray covered with paper towel.  Salt both sides and let the tomatoes rest for about 10-15 minutes.  The salt seasons and draws out some of the moisture.
 
 

Equal parts of bread crumbs and cornmeal.  Don't ask me measurements...I don't know.  If you start with a cup of each, you should be ok.  I like to season my breading with this combination.  Again...not sure about measurements.  (That frustrates some of you...I know it does.)
 
 
Start with three well beaten eggs.  Green tomatoes LOVE an egg bath!

Egg bath to the dredging...making sure the surfaces are well covered.
 
 
Hot oil treatment....until golden brown.

Drain on paper towel.
 
And there you go!
 
 

Comments