Year Six

Dear Dad...

Saturday, August 9, 2008.  Saturday, August 9, 2014.  Six exact years.  I was writing things in on the calendar and saw that...and stopped to catch my breath.  Six exact years.  Time has a funny way of slipping by, when you're not looking.  Shooooot...I think even when you're keeping a careful eye on it, somehow it still manages to sneak by, unnoticed.

We're back in SMALLtown!  Did you hear God Almighty laugh when he presented this opportunity to us?  We were sittin' pretty in Bamaham, or so I figured, which just proves that it doesn't pay to be quite so confident in your own plans!  The relocation was a nightmare, but God's grace sustained us and when we finally got down here, I think I spent the first two weeks catching up on about three months' worth of sleepless nights!  The house is great...I think you would really like it.  Kinda fancy...fancier than just about all the other ones we've ever had.  Definitely fancier than the first SMALLtown house. 

The boyos are doing well.  Y1 FINALLY got his driver's license!  What a soup sandwich that was!  And he got his first job...which was far less complicated than the driver's license.  No steady girlfriend, but that will come...he's got that same charm that his daddy has...that you had...that all the men in the family seem to have.  He's really turning into a phenomenal young man.  I have to admit that I do miss his little boy-self...chubby cheeks, golden curls and his amazing imagination! 

Y2 will be thirteen on Monday.  I sort of choke on that when I say it.  Thirteen!!!!!  He looks like your sweet bride's side of the family, but he is built like you!  He's got your legs and the shape of his feet are just like yours. When he crosses his legs, they fall against each other like yours did and it slap overwhelms me, sometimes!  He's got a unique sense of humor and still likes to make up his own jokes.  I'm sorry to say that some of them don't show any improvement from his earlier days of improv.  Maybe with more time...or not!  He's trying out for football and is so excited!  We've made him wait until he was in seventh grade...I hope he's not disappointed.

With the new house, came an extra lot...just perfect for when your sweet bride is ready to have K'vegas in her rear view mirror.  We are excited about that.  She's one of a kind, but who am I telling???  You, more than anyone, understand just how special she is.  She was great help getting the house settled.  I don't know what I would have done without her help. 

Did you get to peep in on the beach gathering?  SO much fun!  Anna Maria Island has to be one of THE prettiest places I've ever been.....and I want to go back!!!!  You would have loved it...well, except for the one day when it looked like the underwater toupee factory exploded!  Seaweed was everywhere.  Kinda gross, but that was the only day that the water wasn't enjoyable.  My heart still catches when I see your two brothers...just the two of them.  I always look for you...even now, six years later.  If they are together, I'm looking for you. 

Mr. Snark is as busy as a one armed paper hanger and he's loving it.  Oh, sure. The job is frustrating, but it's a happy frustration. Makes no sense, I guess, but he comes home being frustrated from being so busy instead of being frustrated with boredom.  He's planning another road trip with The Younglings.  He's talking about taking two weeks to do it!  I think you'd probably love it.  You raised a good one...and I thank you for him!

Big news for me...I went back to work! Just this week.  I'm working at the local crisis pregnancy center and I love it!  I started as a volunteer, a few months ago and then I had the chance to come on staff.  It's part time...I'm the ministry assistant (receptionist).  And, I love it.  Ooops, I already said that!  I didn't bounce as well with this move....not like with the other ones.  It's been hard. This little job is a God-send! 

I guess that's all.  Not a day goes by that you don't cross my mind.  I can't get through "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" or "It Is Well", on any given Sunday, without turning into a complete puddle.  What I wouldn't give to hear you laugh...to hear you pray...to hear you say my name...to watch you with The Boyos.  I'd LOVE for the house that goes on the extra lot to be for you AND your sweet bride.   You marked me for life and I remind myself that the pain of missing you is a precious reminder of knowing what it means to be loved.

Love,
Punkin

Comments