Zucchini Toasts

It's that time of year...the time of year that I declare to be TOO HOT TO COOK!  And when this time of year arrives, we begin to eat suppers that don't require a great deal of time or heat in the preparation.  Sandwiches of ALL varieties...grilled meat with assorted salads...assorted salads w/out the grilled meat...bruschetta (HOORAY for summer tomatoes) and this summer, we welcome Zucchini Toasts to the party.  I wish I had pictures to share with you of the prep, but maybe that's just part of the lure.  You're going to have to make it to see just how lovely it is.  Refreshing to the eyes, oh yes!  Mr. Snark deserves the credit for finding this recipe.  He tasted a sample at a somewhat local farmer's market, called me over to have a bite and I'm so glad he did!  I hope you will be, too!

For the topping:
3 slender zucchini
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. olive oil
8 leaves fresh basil, torn
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, finely chopped
salt/pepper

Trim ends and scrub zucchini.  Using medium grater, shred zucchini into a bowl.  Toss with salt.  Let stand 10 minutes.  Rinse away salt and drain in colander.  Shape tennis ball sized portions of zucchini and squeeze out excess liquid. Discard liquid and return zucchini to bowl.  Toss with salt/pepper, to taste.  Add basil, olive oil, garlic and shallot.  Mix, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.

For the toasts:
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 loaf French bread (sliced on the bias into 1/4 inch rounds)
salt/pepper
1/2 c. grated or shaved  good Parmesan or Romano cheese

Heat oil and butter in skillet over medium heat, until just bubbling.  Place bread in one layer.  Season with salt/pepper.  Cook until golden, turn and season with salt/pepper.  Repeat until all bread is cooked.  Preheat broiler.  Top each slice of toast with cheese and broil just long enough to melt cheese.  Top each toast portion with a scant tablespoon of zucchini mixture.  Serve immediately.

Now...of course I modified this. I didn't have a shallot the first time I made this...I used a couple of finely chopped green onion and it was scrumptious.  I added a couple of teaspoons of grated lemon zest.  I can't say enough about the virtues of lemon zest.  It is a joyous thing.  Instead of serving the toasts already topped with the zucchini, I just served the zucchini separately and let my eaters do it for themselves.  We found it good on the toast, excellent on the sliced tomatoes, divine with a bite of pork chop and plainly fantastic all by itself.

 

Comments