We've Relocated!

First post from the new location of YOHOS!  The new digs are coming together, nicely.  Although, I do think that we will have moving company boxes around us until Jesus returns!  Seriously...you should see the back porch!  Here...take a gander!


(I turned the photos...pray for Blogger.  Maybe it will resolve to be more cooperative!)   Here in a few days, the moving company will come to reclaim these boxes, which encased about 85% of our household goods.  You don't realize how much stuff you have until it gets boxed up and then, if you're like me, you waiver between childlike amazement at the amount of stuff and a very grown up sense of humiliation when you realize that you could do without about half the stuff in those boxes!

We are settling in...the house looks like the train wasn't going at top speed when the train derailed.  It was overwhelming when the kids and I arrived on December 19.  The aforementioned boxes were EVERYWHERE!  Not kidding you...we were playing Tw*ster to just walk through it.  Mr. Snark let out a visible and audible sigh of relief when I gave my approval.  To be honest, at that late date, I might have even been just as happy with a wigwam...just as long as all four of us were together.! My first mission was to get our beds made.  The rest of the house could wait until tomorrow and the weeks after, but I meant we were going to sleep like civilized folk!  And we did. 

Fueled by STRONG coffee (because it can take the amount of milk and sugar I like to use)and determination, we started putting the house together, on the 20th.  The weather was freakishly warm, even for south Georgia.  Like, sitting on the front porch watch the traffic go by...that kind of warm.  A sweet friend brought us lunch from the local fried chicken shack....good stuff and I didn't realize how much I'd missed that taste!  We worked pretty diligently all day and by sunset, we were worn out!  About 1:30 the next morning, my calf muscles woke me up to remind me that I am five years older than I was the last time that we moved and that the activities required to settle a new house are in direct contrast to that of our usual slothful habits.  Wasn't that nice of them?  I did a few laps through the maze of boxes and then in pure desperation, filled the DEEP bathtub with hot water.  No joke...about ten minutes after sliding into the hot water, I cold have fallen asleep.  My nagging muscles were no match for that water.  In my sleep deprived state, crazy headlines ran through my mind:  FORMER RESIDENT RETURNS TO AREA; DROWNS IN BATHTUB WHILE SOAKING SORE MUSCLES.  Uh-huh...guess who got out of the tub?

We've been in the house, all four of us, two weeks now.  We've gotten about 85% of our things unpacked.  We've had our first visitors, our first spend the night company (SIDEBAR...MILove came down the Sunday before Christmas and left this morning.  She worked like a field hand!  We paid her with a place to sleep and bathe and meals.  She brought Christmas cookies...I think we got the better end of that deal.  Three cheers for MILove!), our first Christmas, our first dinner party with old friends and today, the boys and I have celebrated our new home by staying in our pajamas ALL DAY!  It's the little things, people.  Rainy days aren't meant for schlepping around outside.  Well, unless you're in Paris, with a dreamy boy and have a red umbrella...then you my schlep away.  Rainy days are meant for pj's, blogging, napping, munching and sipping a hot beverage of your choice.

When we last spoke, I was most concerned about my second born and based on some of your comments, I wasn't the only one.  He ran into his daddy's arms upon our arrival at the new house and all was well.  I've seen a lot more of his face and a lot less of the top of his head.  His chin doesn't seem to be attached to his chest any more.  The bounce has returned to his step and his rainbow is shining a little brighter.  Every once in a while, he gets this wistful look on his face; missing what has been his home, those who've been his friends and friemily...everything/everyone familiar.  It's like a passing cloud, though, and I think he's going to be just fine!  Although...when his new principal (we used to attend the same church in our previous life here) stopped by (she lives just across the road) to be neighborly (and bring a cheese Danish, warm from the oven), he wasn't amused. 

Should you not hear from me for a few days, don't worry.  There's no way the moving company can mistake me for one of the flattened, broken down boxes.  Well, maybe the could!


Comments