Mama's Staycation, Day 1

So, Tuesday marked Day 28 in our misadventure with Silver.  For those of you behind on the news, check out my post "Two Seconds of Stupidity" and then read "Day 16."  Those should bring you up to speed.  I'm just going to confess that it has been very hard to keep this in perspective and hold onto the truth that while it has been a problem, it's not on the same scale as not having clean water to drink or no money to pay our bills.  Have I said that before?  I think I did.  Forgive me.  It is, however, a good thing to revisit.  Won't be revisiting that particular tire store...like, EVER...but the notion that this situation needs to be kept in it's proper perspective is worth repeating. 

Day 28...a very good day to follow up Day 27, which made it seem like the whirlpool of this whole debacle was going to overtake us.  Mr. Snark was able to retrieve Silver from the collision shop on Monday.  He took it out on the open road to get a feel for the situation.  He came home UNHAPPY!!!  While on the highway, he felt an odd vibration.  He got home and discovered LOTS and LOTS of the little weights, used to balance a vehicle's tires, on his brand new tires.  You know, the brand new tires that he was having aligned when Silver got dropped off the rack.  And by LOTS and LOTS, I mean there were eighty or more between all four tires.  Each of those little iron ingots weighs 1/4 of an ounce.  Using the weights is a common practice (I didn't know that!  Did you?) but for our truck...for those tires...it seemed like too much.  Turns out, it certainly was.

Back to Day 28...Mr. Snark called the collision shop and explained what he felt and he wasn't far into the details, when he was told that it sounded like a balancing issue.  Silver had a quick visit with the shop who did the mechanical repairs and it was confirmed that the tires were not properly balanced and the extra weight that was added was beyond overkill.  When it was all said and done, all but eleven of the weights were removed.  The technician told Mr. Snark that he had NO clue why the other tire store did this.  Obviously, because THEY have no clue.  Another road test and I am happy to report that Silver is as right as rain.  Well, except for the remaining body work that will get done when Mr. Snark and The Younglings return from their road trip.

Yep, that's right....the road trip is a "GO!"  They left this morning (after Silver had a bath because Mr. Snark wanted to wash off all the bad ju-ju left behind by the tire store) and stopped in Memphis for some BBQ at The Rendezvous.  Many questions have been asked concerning my activities for the week.  So here's what I've done today.

  • I didn't iron Mr. Snark's dress clothes at 6:30am!  I iron his clothes every morning.  Yes, I realize that I could iron once a week and be done with it, but I don't.  Don't judge.
  • I didn't leave for the grossery store until 12:30pm.
  • I ate sushi for lunch.
  • I wandered through the grossery store...looked at every aisle.
  • I bought a box of doughnuts and I intend on eating every one of them.  Maybe not, but at least I'll get one before they disappear.
  • I played with the customization tool on a furniture website.
  • Tonight, I'm making myself a steak dinner...with sautéed mushrooms and onions and I'm gong to have a wedge salad.  The elegance of a wedge salad seems to be lost on my fellows, so I'm going to enjoy it.  With LOTS of bleu cheese and bacon!
I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow.  I have LOTS that I could do...and LOTS that I want to do...whatever it is, it will be of my choosing.  Stay tuned.

Comments