Mama's Alone...Day 5

You might be shocked to know that I have kept it between the lines, since the boys left.  If you were expecting wild and raucous tales of me getting in touch with "before marriage and children Michelle," I'm sorry to disappoint you.  To be quite honest, "BMAC Michelle" really isn't much different that "AMAC Michelle."  Let me amend that to say that BMAC Michelle didn't have to color her hair or keep vigilant watch for renegade hairs on her upper lip.  Other than that, there's not much difference.

I have been busy-ish.  I have determined that we need a new couch/love seat pairing in the living room.  This determination was made by some intensive, up close and personal studies.  And by that I mean, getting lost in a good book on Saturday afternoon and trying my best to find a comfortable place on the couch...and then on the love seat.  And by getting lost, I mean that I read a couple of pages and woke up about an hour later.

For whatever reason, I decided that the dishwasher needed to be thoroughly cleaned...like with an old toothbrush.  And then I ran some vinegar through it.  Yes, the house smelled like Easter eggs....and it was great!

I watched "Mama Mia" and sang along with ALL the songs and even danced.  I watched "Bull Durham" and wondered if I will ever be able to attend a baseball game and not have lines from that movie running through my head?  Probably not...and that's ok.  If I ever get to go to a Durham Bulls game, I'm going to look like a lunatic...talking to myself and laughing at my own jokes!

I made myself a yummy steak dinner...with LOTS of sautéed onions and mushrooms...I didn't have to share them with Mr. Snark:)  Another night, I made a DELICIOUS Philly cheese steak sammich...you can find the recipe on the Pioneer Woman's website.  I highly recommend it.  Oh, I finished the box of doughnuts.  Don't judge....I meant that I was going to eat all of them and I did.

I straightened the guest room/computer room for Bubby and Uncle to come stay.  They arrived earlier on Sunday than I had planned.  Thank God for text messages...and forgive me, Lord, for having to fly out of church after the song service ended.  Because of my "research" on Saturday, I didn't get my chores done, so I had to break my habit of NOT doing chores on Sunday.  By the time Bubby and Uncle got here, I was sweating like a field hand!  But the Younglings' bathroom was clean...Mama clean, which you understand is VASTLY different from Youngling clean.  Swept and dusted and ran the sweeper.  Took out the trash.  I miss my boys...I don't like doing their chores:)  It was a wonderful visit with Bubby and Uncle.  Overnight...too short, but then I can't get enough of their company!  Seeing Uncle is like seeing FIL, which is exactly what I needed.  Bubby and I have clicked from our very first meeting and when I am with her, nothing can bring me down.

I had to take The Family Truckster to the shop on Monday.  An odd warning message popped up on the display:  "Fail safe mode."  The engine got very quiet and wouldn't accelerate properly.  I shut it off and restarted....no message and normal functioning.  Scared me.  My Ford dealership has been good to me...so I just had to go on that.   I explained the error message and what the car did and then proceeded to inform my service writer about our summer of Automobile Hell.  He was, as everyone has been, completely gobsmacked.  He promised me that he'd take care of things.  Thankfully, it was an easy fix...and it was FREE, due to recall and warranty.  WOOT!  Mr. Service Writer said he almost gave into the temptation to tell me that they had driven my car off the rack...in similar fashion to Mr. Snark's truck, but he thought better and chose not to.  I got a good laugh out of it, but I promise you that if his better judgment had not prevailed, I would have had a come apart of Biblical proportions.

Last night, I went to cook supper for my friends, who just had their fourth baby girl.  Those three oldest girls own me.  I walked in the door and they were on me like static cling.  Immediately, they began looking for the boys and asking after them and imploring with me to find them.  They were happy with sending text messages telling the boys that they loved them and missed them.  Girly #2 wanted Y1 to know that she missed him so much and will punch him in the stomach when she sees him again.  She really loves him!  When I tell you that they are everything that is good and lovely and wonderful about little girls...about children...it is the honest truth.  I'm always careful to wear good earrings and such when I go...they LOVE the bling.  At supper, I sat between Girly #1 and Girly #2.  #1 would tap me and ask a question and then #2 would follow suit.  It was like being at the best tennis match EVER!  At different points over dinner, both of them told me that they loved me.  I want to believe that they REALLY do...but I think they were just trying to get me to slip them some more of the buttered French bread.  Not to be outdone, Girly #3...a sport model of a two year old...announces, "Ina kits you, Sel!"  Did you catch that?  "I want to kiss you, Mrs. Michelle!"  As lovely as the sentiment was, I had to decline her generous offer.  There were grits from one side of her beautiful, cherubic face to the other.  Of course, had her mama and daddy not been at the table with us, I might have just jumped up and let her use my face to clean her face!  I like going there and I don't want to do anything to wear out my welcome!!! 

Today, more research with the love seat....paid a bill...read some emails.  Prayed for a friend who is dealing with a second cancer diagnosis.  You could pray for her...K.H....and I'd be so glad.  I think it's an early catch, but it hasn't been long since the first go round.  Got invited to a birthday supper for one of my sweetest youth girls.  Carrabba's...I had the steamed mussels.  Steamed in LOTS of garlic, white wine and butter.  Mr. Snark can probably smell the garlic all the way to New Mexico!

Tomorrow, I'm going to do a bit of school shopping and then go float in the pool at Mrs. Ma-ree's house.  Ma-ree is her Cajun code name and that's all I can say about that.

Not the exciting week that some moms would choose given my circumstances, but everything I did is because I wanted to.  Ok..I HAD to pay the bill, but I did it when I got good and ready to do it.  And on that note, I think I'll go brush my teeth...the garlic is killing me.

Comments