Woodpile 2013

Last summer, we gathered at the beach with the paternal side of Mr. Snark's family.  Sister A joined us and we had a glorious time.  It gave us an idea to pitch it to our mother's side of the family.  Our pitch was met with great approval, so the planning began.  I'll do JUST nearly anything to avoid doing the laundry, so it was my great joy to do the research and coordination of the whole she-bang.  We met over the week leading into July 4 at one of the many resort parks in the area of Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky.  The last time that the largest number of us were all together was when we buried Papa Wood, in July 2003.  It was BEYOND time to be together at an event that didn't involve a "burying or marrying."

Our family is like most, I suppose.  We are LOUD.  Not all of us, but it is graciously fair to say that the majority of us don't lack for volume.  We are opinionated.  The opinions flow freely and many times, they flow without solicitation.  We are musical.  All five of "the kids" sing.  All nine of the grand children sing.  The great grands show no indication of disappointment in this area.  We come from folks that weren't afraid of a hard day's work.  This is so genetically ingrained that sometimes, a few of us have a hard time unplugging and enjoying being still.  (It almost goes without saying that I am not one of the ones who has a hard time enjoying the slothful life.  I wish I was, but chalk it up to every family tree having a couple of twisted branches.)  Some of my family seem genetically predisposed to serving their fellow men.  For them, nothing makes them happier than to do for others.  I can go both ways.  I love helping folks and ministering to them, but who am I to deny someone the blessing of bringing me a cold Co-Cola on a hot day?  And maybe a sammich...and a cookie, while you're at it?  We love to laugh.  Some of us are so sarcastic, I'm beginning to think that it is an undocumented fruit of the spirit!  We love to eat....don't hesitate when supper's called and don't get in the way while it's being fixed.  We aren't perfect.  I used to think we were.  All children are entitled to their fairy tales.  No such thing as a perfect family since we're talking about human beings.  We are just us...and that's all we can be.

These are my grandparents.  Norman and Sarah.  To some of the family, my Papa was "LaVern."  That was his middle name.  Granny had a brother by the name of "Norman," so I guess it was easier to distinguish who was who by using Papa's middle name.  Or that's what I always thought.  "Sarah" was Granny's intended first name.  By that, I mean that her mother meant for her name to be "Sarah Elizabeth," but only "Elizabeth" got put on the birth certificate.  I always knew when it was family calling because they'd ask to speak to "Sarah."  She was known as "Betty" to everyone else.  When I was a little girl, I always thought it was just awful that she didn't go by "Elizabeth."  To my mind, there wasn't any name more beautiful.  It's still one of my favorites.  I planned to give it to my own daughter.  I had sons.  "Elizabeth" isn't a good choice for a boy.
 


These are "the kids."  Well, four of the five.  Working right to left (pretend you're reading Hebrew), there is Uncle #1, Mama, Uncle #3 and Uncle #2.  That doesn't look right, but it is.  The fellow between Mama and the fellow on the end is actually "the baby" of the family.  We don't often do things in the proper order.  Between Mama and Uncle #1 is Sister #1.  She wasn't able to make the trip.  


 The cousins...we are missing four.  The three on the right of this picture were part of the second wave of grands.  We always referred to them as "the little kids."  It's been REALLY cool watching them grow up and become parents.  I LOVE their babies tremendously. I don't know that you could necessarily pick us out as family, based on looks, but we all have certain character traits...strengths/flaws that are the undeniable genetic markers of blood ties.
 


 Uncle #1 and his family...his Ph.D. wife, their Ph.D. daughter and her MD husband.  Ph.D. Auntie is just a doll.  She's got a wicked sense of humor, she's sharp as a tack and will cry at the drop of a hat.  She's one of the original sob sisters!  The little girls belong to my Ph.D. cousin and her MD husband.  They are my "Pixies."  Uncle #1's oldest was with us for about twenty four hours.  Of course, none of us thought to make pictures while he was with us.  We're glad that he got to come...but would have loved to see his precious wife and two kids.  This section of the family were always sort of mysterious to me.  They lived in Arkansas and we didn't get to see them very often.  Sister and I were part of many a summer trip to Arkansas to see them.  Granny loved sitting at the ball park watching our aforementioned and not-pictured-here cousin play ball.  Hours of ball.  Nights at there house always included more ball.  Namely, Sister and I being forced to hit the tether ball that Uncle #1 would swing around.  We weren't good.  We weren't ball players.  "Oh, now...y'all hit like girls!"  Sure...girls...who didn't play ball.  Good times.
 
So, here's Mama's part of the family pile.  We're missing Mr. Snark and Sister's baby.  Mr. Snark had to stay behind for work and Sister's baby is yet unknown to us.  She's adopting from Ethiopia and we're all just about to bust our buttons over this child we've never seen.  A couple of the aunts were speculating on whether or not we all just need to take second jobs to get this baby home!  That's my step-dad with Mama.  He's a goof ball, but he loves my mama fiercely....as long as she doesn't try to fool with him when any of the Detroit teams are on the television.
 
 I'd love to show you a picture of Uncle #2, but unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a good one.  And I'm not that mean as to purposely post an unflattering picture just for the sake of having a picture.  He's so much like Papa, although, to me....he looks more like Granny's side of the family.  He's always busy, always doing.  He lived with us, at Granny and Papa's, for a little while.  He had all sorts of COOL music and he'd let us listen to it.  He also made us pick up stray threads and such from the carpet.  I think that was just to get us out of his hair (which by the way, was ALWAYS, perfectly coiffed).
 
 Uncle #3 and his family.  He's the last of "the kids"...the baby...but he's turned into the family's rock.  Not sure if that's something he meant to happen, but it did and he wears the responsibility with amazing strength.  One of the best things he ever did was marry that lady in the middle of the picture.  Hands down, she's probably the sweetest girl to ever come out of the State of Kentucky!  AND...she makes a chocolate chip pie that will make you weep for joy!  Their son-in-law had to stay home for work...like Mr. Snark....hey, someone has to pay the bills!  Those little boys...oh me!  Those are my angel-boys!  The oldest one calls me "good Mickey."  That little red head...she has the perfect voice for a little girl...sweet and soft and pink sounding.  Baby girl in arms...has jelly shoes that make a grown girl jealous! 
 
 
Ah...the great grands.  Eight are missing from this photo.  The great grands were Granny's pride and joy.  I know that Papa loved them, but by the time they started coming along, he'd already had his strokes and it made it difficult for him to enjoy so much of life.  I like to think that neither one of them would like nothing better than to be sitting on the front porch surrounded by this sweet group of children.  In my mind's eye, I can see that.  No photograph could do that justice.

 
I think everyone really enjoyed themselves.  I sure did.  We sat on the deck and sang various hymns.  During "Farther Along", I looked over at the little kids and saw our little carrot top shimming and gyrating for all that she was worth.  The rest were soon to follow.  Who knew this was such a dance hit with the "4 and under" crowd?  We swapped stories about Granny and Papa.  We all have them.  It was neat to hear the unique impressions and experiences that we all have. 
 
I don't know that folks in Heaven are really interested in what goes on down here...I mean, how could they be?  Look what they'd be ignoring??????????????????  However, I hope that the Good Lord opened a window for them to see us...and I hope they smiled.

Comments