L-O-V-E

If I had a Valentine's play list...or mix tape...if you are like me and grew up "back in the day"...it might include the following.....

So, yes....Bryan Adams singing "Heaven."  It was the theme song for my 8th grade prom...my date was Steve Durette, my granny made my dress (white eyelet with a pink under skirt...under skirting is necessary when making a dress of eyelet) and I was sunburned!  The cafeteria at Central Intermediate was decorated in pink and blue and there was a disco ball in the center of the room.  This song makes me smile and it makes me think of a time where my whole life was in front of me.

"Open Arms" by Journey.  I had a locker partner, in 7th grade, named Amy J.  Amy J. had the BIGGEST crush on the keyboard player from Journey.  His picture, and pictures of the whole band were plastered on the inside of our locker.  Many of Journey's songs are plastered on the inside of my brain and my heart.  I miss Steve Perry.

Richard Marx....seriously...I would sing at the top of my lungs and bawl my eyes out at the same time.  His songs made me miss Mr. Snark in the worst way.

"When I See You Smile" by Bad English.  I am a child of the 80's...no apologies offered.  Again, it made me thing of my darling dearest and how at that moment, I'd have given my eye teeth to see his smile.  Of course, I'd not be able to return the favor since I'd willingly surrendered said eye teeth...not a pretty picture, but the song is great!

Mr. Snark introduced me to John Hiatt and I'm glad he did. While a song writer of many tunes I was familiar with, I'd never heard his voice.  "Have A Little Faith" in me is one of my favorites.

John Hiatt, "Lipstick Sunset."  'Nuff said.

To prove that I'm more than a one-trick pony, there are songs from other eras that speak to me...and this is one of them.  "I Only Have Eyes For You"....shoo-bop-sh-bop!

Makes me think of convertibles and drive-ins and smokin' hot bad boys on motorcycles.

"Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding....this song makes the list because I like the movie "Bull Durham" and there is a reference to this song in that movie and it is part of mine and Mr. Snark's conversational repertoire.

"Anything For You" by Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.  La Gloria was, is fiercely talented and she made me wish I was Cuban!  Not sure if that would have helped me sing as well as her, but it would be interesting!

Back to the 80's...mullets, Members Only jackets, singing soap stars and all.  Jack Wagner played the character "Frisco Jones" on the ABC soap, "G*neral H*spital."  Frisco and his lady, "Felecia" were a more modern day version of Luke and Laura.  No disrespect intended...I loved me some Luke and Laura.  Anyway, Mr. Wagner could sing AND act and I loved this song.  The harmony was great.


That's just a few...there are others that come to mind, but some of them really don't pass for the "family friendly" standards we try to keep around here.  Seriously, some of those songs are so steamy, it's amazing that babies don't just appear after listening to them!

I'm not down on Valentine's Day....but I'm just here to tell you that if you need a special, commericialized day to demonstrate your devotion to your dearest heart, y'all have bigger problems that won't be solved by the biggest box of R*ssell St*ver (I like them because there are maps on the lids of the boxes)chocolates or all the smooth, foxy sounds of Luther Vandross...God rest his soul!  Take time to say it every day....you'll be glad you did.


Comments

  1. Love your playlist/mixed tape!!~ Thanks for sharing it! :D

    Tiffany C.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment