Buggy Peeping

It is no secret that I'm a known regular at my local P*blix grossery store.  My friends at P*blix see me at least once each week...sometimes more, depending on how quickly the milk, G*ator-*de and orange juice are inhaled between weekly trips.  The bread thing I have under control.  I've started buying two loaves each week...sometimes, every other week...stopping the mid-week run for bread in it's tracks.  My friends at P*blix also know that I'm good for a full buggy on the weekly trips.  In fact, I recently ran in for the ingredients I needed to make a certain kind of sandwich I was making as Y1's contribution to a pool party.  I jumped in the express lane and saw one of my favorite bagging clerks walk by.  I called him by name, in greeting.  AND he said..."I'm sorry...you look familiar, but I don't think I've ever seen you in the express lane!" 

Yes, my buggy is usually full.  Lots of produce.  Lots of cheese.  Not a lot of junk..although, you're likely to find a package certain very dunkable chocolate sandwich cookies when they are on sale.  They are the house favorite.  Sandwich meat, pickles, yogurt.  Cereal, granola bars, oatmeal, eggs.  It stacks up.  We don't go out to supper as much as some families do.  We might order in a pizza...I might go pick up some Chinese...when we do go out, it's usually on Sunday after morning worship.  Cooking for four...for the majority of the week, plus packing up to 10 lunches (2/youngling/day, depending on what's being served in the school cafeterias....sometimes packing a lunch for Mr. Snark)each week...the boxes, bottles, jars, cartons, jugs, bags and cans tend to pile up. 

The contents...or maybe it's the quantity of the contents of my buggy will often earn stares from other customers.  Some of the Buggy Peepers are bachelors..."heat and eat" dinners, big bags of beef jerky, maybe a can of spray cheese (I think I just gagged typing that!).  Some are little old ladies...several cans of cat food, a bag of oranges, high fiber cereal.  Some are college kids/just out of college kids....R*men noodles, peanut butter and H*t P*ckets.  Some of my fellow shoppers have gone so far as to make  comments about my buggy. 
"Wow!  Are you feeding the whole neighborhood?"
"How many people are in your family?"
"What's the army having for supper tonight?"
"Maybe you need another buggy!"
"Can I come eat with you tonight?"
It usually gives me pause when people say these things.  But the pause doesn't last long...
"No, I'm not feeding the neighborhood.  But if my neighbors needed a meal, they would be welcome at our table."
"There's four of us...we all have pretty healthy appetites and one of us is a fourteen year old football player, who either has a tape worm or hole in is stomach...keeping him full with the good stuff is a task."
"Not sure what the army's having for supper...but, God love them, it probably won't be near as good as what we're having!"
"It's rare that I need two buggies...but if I do, would you help me with the second one?"
"Sorry...the reservation list is full...maybe next week!"
If only manners and tact were sold at P*blix....I'd buy two cartsful of each and hand them out at the doors!
 

Comments