All In The Family

Y2 had a project for class that was very interesting.  He had to do a biographical poem on anyone of his choosing.  He also had to design a "paper doll" representation of his subject.  I was scolded and chastised by the youngest boyo for calling it a paper doll.  Imagine in your head the outlined shape of a gingerbread man...that's the shape we were given.  Essentially, a paper doll.  Sorry kid...it is what it is.  I've told you, before, Y2 is very unique and interesting.  In so many ways, not like a typical ten year old.  He chose Albert Einstein.

Clothing the "paper Albert" was a lot of fun.  Y2 rummaged through my stock of scrapbook paper and came up with the "fabric" for a suit coat, shirt, tie, vest, pants and shoes.  Can I tell you that being a seamstress for a paper man is NOT easy?  But we did it.  I would trace a pattern piece and cut it out and then Y2 traced the pattern onto the "real" paper and cut it out.  In the end, "paper Albert" looked right dapper.  His hair was my FAVORITE!  We pulled apart a couple of cotton balls and streaked them with black permanent marker.  The results were perfect.  Unfortunately, they've not been graded or returned, so you'll just have to trust me when I tell you how cute it really was.

Writing the poem was a bit more difficult than playing seamstress.  I pulled out a couple of tricks from my teaching years and we brainstormed.  I had Y2 list words that he could use to describe Mr. Einstein.  He'd found a very good book about AE in the school library and to my great surprise, had actually read it!  (Don't judge me for doubting my kid....how many of you ever had to do a book report and didn't actually read the book....uh-huh...that's what I thought!)  We ended up with quite a list of words and facts.  We worked together; writing poetry is NOT an easy thing.  It gets a bit more difficult when you add a ten year old boy who would rather be outside, painting the world with his Superman-colored paint brush!  I do believe, however, that the finished product was worth the struggle.  So, without further ado....

Albert Einstein by Y2

On March 14, 1879,
a boy was born named Albert Einstein.
His father was a German named Herman;
Pauline was his mother.
The first child of two;
with a sister, no brother.

His head was quite big
and so full of brains;
he had tantrums and fits
no one could restrain.
School was hard for Albert
though he liked Latin and math.
It would be his love of numbers
that made his life’s path.

Science and numbers go hand in hand.
In 1895, he moved to Switzerland.
Albert married Mileva in 1903 and
in 1905, he earned his Ph.D..

With E=mc² and a head of unruly hair;
Albert’s life was a great surprise…
the least of which, the 1921 Nobel Prize.
His life knew trials; people were often mean,
but forty-five years after his death,
He was on the cover of Time Magazine.


Source:
Wishinsky, F. ALBERT EINSTEIN.  New York: DK Publishing, 2005.

My favorite part of this, aside from spending time with my brown eyed boyo and realizing that maybe we have two writers in the family, was finding out that Albert Einstein was born on March 14....3.14...Pi Day....the father of all eggheads, born on Pi Day.  Tell me that God doesn't have a sense of humor!!!


Comments